Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - darts - 03-16-2018

Are they getting new buses? Is there anything significantly different in service or is it just renamed and a launching party?

RE: Grand River Transit - trainspotter139 - 03-16-2018

(03-16-2018, 11:36 AM)darts Wrote: Are they getting new buses? Is there anything significantly different in service or is it just renamed and a launching party?

These 9 buses have features that will be unique (for now) to the ION Bus Rapid Transit line from Fairway Station to Ainslie Terminal

RE: Grand River Transit - trainspotter139 - 03-16-2018

this phase of the beta test is being extended for the month of April

RE: Grand River Transit - chutten - 03-16-2018

(03-16-2018, 11:43 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote: this phase of the beta test is being extended for the month of April

The email announcing this also had this piece of unfortunate news:

Quote:We heard from a number of you that you want to be able to load your card and check your balance online. The good news is that we're currently testing our fare card management website. We'd like to have you beta test the website in late spring/early summer.

If they're only beta testing the card management website in late spring/early summer, I'm guessing the EasyGO Fare Card launch date isn't going to be particularly soon.

On the plus side, they've read the survey responses. So at least there's that.

RE: Grand River Transit - bgb_ca - 03-16-2018

You need to keep in mind as well they can't launch until they have a credit card processor in place. While they can do internal testing, they can't do public testing. Maybe that's the holdup?

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 03-16-2018

The 2018 network proposal has been updated with feedback from the fall: http://www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/2018-transit-network.aspx

Unfortunately there's no clear summary of what has changed. What I've spotted:

7: On peak, southbound trips through Uptown will take Bridgeport/Caroline EDIT: This is for short turns only.

16: Highland connection shifted from Homer Watson to Hoffman, making Mill Ion a decent walking transfer - also, north terminus moved from GRH to Uptown

73: They went with a version of Option 1

University Ave: the 12, 203, and 29 still do NOT serve an Ion station

9/19: they won't directly interline, instead a small loop route (30) will serve the Ring Road in between

6: What had been planned as a separate Courtland route (I think the called it 18) is now part of the 6

RE: Grand River Transit - timc - 03-16-2018

I don't understand the unwillingness to connect a bus route to ION at Waterloo Park. Do they think it will be overused?

On the other hand, I'm glad I've become a winter cyclist, because this new transit plan pretty much ruins any hopes of me commuting by transit. I used to have the ability to travel from home to work with only one transfer, but if I want to commute in the future, I will need to transfer twice, or take a 5-10 minute walk between buses.

That Ring Road route seems odd to me.

RE: Grand River Transit - yige_t - 03-16-2018

4 - now goes all the way to Frederick Station via Margaret, plus new Sunday service.

7 - service will now be every 15 min for the entire route, 7 days a week. Exception to this is during peak between Uptown and Conestoga Station, which will be every 7.5 min.

34 - now ends at Central Station instead of Charles Terminal

76 - route revised to run via Thomas Slee

RE: Grand River Transit - Viewfromthe42 - 03-16-2018

Connecting a route at Waterloo Park means that to get to that route, you cannot go by the University Plaza, and likely will be farther from a lot of residential areas.

RE: Grand River Transit - chutten - 03-16-2018

(03-16-2018, 04:26 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Connecting a route at Waterloo Park means that to get to that route, you cannot go by the University Plaza, and likely will be farther from a lot of residential areas.

Not if you embed the track between University and Seagram and allow buses to run that short segment of rail as a road (lights permitting).

RE: Grand River Transit - ijmorlan - 03-16-2018

(03-16-2018, 04:59 PM)chutten Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 04:26 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Connecting a route at Waterloo Park means that to get to that route, you cannot go by the University Plaza, and likely will be farther from a lot of residential areas.

Not if you embed the track between University and Seagram and allow buses to run that short segment of rail as a road (lights permitting).

While that would be cool, there is tons of space there — you could build a one-lane bus roadway immediately east of the tracks and not have to get into a discussion of all the horror that would ensue if steel- and rubber-tired transit vehicles shared a lane.

RE: Grand River Transit - timc - 03-16-2018

Yes, but there are several routes that run on University Avenue. Why can't one of them go down Seagram instead?

RE: Grand River Transit - Pheidippides - 03-16-2018

Wow that new #16 is convoluted.

So they have a #30 circular on ring road but they won't let the 202 on ring road?

It looks like they've finally added iXpress stop at University @ King, but they have left the stop at University @ Hazel.

Why not move the Hazel stop to Albert then there is a stop at both ends of the WLU campus.

Plus, if they can't the 202 to the UW transit station then why not adjust the iXpress stops to be at near university@westmount/Waterloo Park station/Albert/King then if you need to get to all the shops on University or the east side of campus you just walk the 500m or transfer to the NB Ion.

I will miss my direct/one bus (#8) to UW, but I guess it is better for the good of the "network."

Here is a text summary from the survey page:

Highlights of changes based on your feedback:

Route 200/ION Bus: Sunday service would be improved to run every 15 minutes during the day, to match ION LRT service levels.

Route 7: Following concerns about frequency, Route 7 would run every 15 minutes all day along the entire route. During weekday peak periods, Route 7 would run every 7-8 minutes between Uptown Waterloo and Conestoga Mall.

Route 10: We received some feedback about the loss of neighbourhood service in the area of Old Mill Road, Pinnacle Drive and Doon Valley Drive. We’re proposing two options for service on Route 10, and asking for feedback on which would better address people’s travel needs.

Route 16: To address feedback about service frequency and connections, Route 16 would be extended to Uptown Waterloo, providing better connections to ION and other routes. The route would also operate on Hoffman Street between Ottawa Street and Highland Road East, to provide improved coverage to that neighbourhood and closer access to Mill Station. During weekday peak periods, Route 16 would operate every 15 minutes between Ottawa Street and Uptown Waterloo.

Route 73: Based on the feedback received, Route 73 would provide service to the Northlake neighbourhood every 30 minutes, with an extension to Rideau River Street. The route was also revised for a better connection with Northfield ION Station.

Route 76: To address concerns about access to service in Doon South, Route 76 would be extended to provide service further into the neighbourhood.

We have also made a number of smaller changes and revisions based on the feedback provided during our fall consultations.

RE: Grand River Transit - Bob_McBob - 03-16-2018

Someone on Facebook is already demanding the region alter the Doon South route because they don't want buses in the area  Rolleyes

RE: Grand River Transit - bgb_ca - 03-16-2018

Had me worried there when they changed the union one back to 4 for a second from the 18, as I thought it was going to be the same hourly evening/weekend and no Sunday service it has now. Glad to see they are running it 30 mins all day everyday .