Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - BuildingScout - 03-16-2015

I don't follow. Who of the present users would want to get off at Victoria and Weber? I think present users want stops bookending the missing stops on King St as closely as possible, which is what the current configuration achieves, does it not?

RE: Grand River Transit - zanate - 03-16-2015

So I've got a couple of thoughts. They're not about good customer service, but they may make sense to regional transit planners.

1. No interim stops (like at Union) means reducing the extra time penalty, which means less service hours. Any Weber stop is not going to reasonably serve GRH anyway, and the GRH stop is pretty low-traffic anyway compared to other stops.

2. This service detour is for the next year and a half (though who knows: the 200 iXpress changes might well last until ION goes live.) That's enough time for the temporary route to generate its own ridership. Seems to me that if you enable trips to/from Weber on a route that won't persist after 2017, you're creating a headache for yourself.

RE: Grand River Transit - Canard - 03-16-2015

Saw my first full wrap the other day. A nice Nova was totally done up for Pizza Pizza. Looked horrible and I hope it's not a new trend.

RE: Grand River Transit - YKF - 03-16-2015

(03-16-2015, 01:08 PM)dunkalunk Wrote: Interesting detour they have going on to access Weber St via Queen and Benton, especially given that there are no stops planned along that portion of the route. I can understand using such a detour for Routes 1 and 8, but If the route is going to travel all the way to Courtland, why not just keep it on Courtland? Doing so would also more closely mirror the final LRT route, particularly if a stop is added at Block Line.

I was also confused about the strange jog that the 200 will take in downtown Kitchener. Having it connect with the 204 ixpress seems like a reasonable guess. 

RE: Grand River Transit - Viewfromthe42 - 03-17-2015

Considering how much of the road is closed for track construction, it could just be that at the major intersection of Benton, it will be much easier from both an infrastructure and signal timing perspective. I don't expect the way across Charles construction at the other crossings will be easier.

RE: Grand River Transit - timio - 03-17-2015

(03-17-2015, 09:03 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Considering how much of the road is closed for track construction, it could just be that at the major intersection of Benton, it will be much easier from both an infrastructure and signal timing perspective. I don't expect the way across Charles construction at the other crossings will be easier.

That's what I was thinking. Getting a bus through Ontario to Weber or Queen to Weber would likely be somewhat more awkward than what is proposed.

RE: Grand River Transit - Markster - 03-17-2015

I kinda wish they could just run buses down Queen St. Though, I suppose they have would an awkward time passing each other at King St, with that jog in the road.

RE: Grand River Transit - Pheidippides - 03-22-2015

Renewal of the U-pass agreements effective September 1, 2015 through August 31, 2020 being recommended to council next week at $81.15 per school term rising 4.99% per year to $98.60 in the final year:
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/regionalGovernment/resources/PW/PA2015-0324.pdf (page 115)

Apparently U-pass riders accounted for 32 percent of GRT’s ridership, or 7 million rides.

RE: Grand River Transit - Markster - 03-23-2015

This morning, riding the iXpress 200 to work, my bus driver announced that there was a stop at Weber/Victoria!

It seems GRT took the suggestion to put a stop there after all? Nothing online reflects this, but I think I saw a glimpse of what I later realized is the official iXpress detour stop marker.

Enjoy high quality bus service to our train station while you can!

RE: Grand River Transit - Spokes - 03-24-2015

(03-22-2015, 01:24 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Renewal of the U-pass agreements effective September 1, 2015 through August 31, 2020 being recommended to council next week at $81.15 per school term rising 4.99% per year to $98.60 in the final year:
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/regionalGovernment/resources/PW/PA2015-0324.pdf (page 115)

Apparently U-pass riders accounted for 32 percent of GRT’s ridership, or 7 million rides.

Anyone know how this compares to past years?

RE: Grand River Transit - timio - 04-08-2015

PIC's for 2015 route redesigns have been set:

Quote:Wednesday, April 15, 2015
2 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Region of Waterloo Administrative Headquarters

Main Lobby
150 Frederick Street
Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3
Thursday, April 16, 2015
4 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Real Canadian Superstore
Community Room
875 Highland Road West
Kitchener, ON N2N 2Y2
Wednesday, April 22, 2015
4 p.m. – 8 p.m.
St. Anthony Daniel Parish
Raphael & Michael Rooms
29 Midland Drive
Kitchener, ON N2A 2A9

Source: Region of Waterloo

RE: Grand River Transit - dunkalunk - 04-10-2015

Proposed 2015 changes have been posted to the planning and works agenda here:

http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/regionalGovernment/resources/PW/PA2015-0414.pdf#page=64

It appears they are deferring many changes in the CTC this year, due to budget constraints and existing disrupion created by ION detours.

RE: Grand River Transit - Pheidippides - 04-12-2015

Does the proposed "new/combined" route 20 go to Charles St Terminal?

RE: Grand River Transit - Markster - 04-13-2015

My reading of the map told me that yes, it does.

RE: Grand River Transit - YKF - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 11:03 AM)Markster Wrote: My reading of the map told me that yes, it does.

The new 20 will not stop at Charles St. Terminal. The routing (traveling eastbound) will see it travel along Victoria St., make a right onto Weber, and then turn left onto Frederick St.
2015 Preferred Changes Plan Map