Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - zanate - 03-09-2015

So, I've been recommending use of Transit App to people, because it was showing realtime information for GRT. A couple of people I talked to weren't sure how this was possible, but it was.

Until Thursday, that is. Now it only shows schedule information (for GRT-- realtime works just fine for other places that provide it.)

I'm not even sure what to suggest, either to GRT (can you fix what you just broke, please?) or to Transit App (do you know what's changed?)

Anyone here even know what GRT's realtime transit API is?

RE: Grand River Transit - plam - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 03:36 PM)zanate Wrote: So, I've been recommending use of Transit App to people, because it was showing realtime information for GRT. A couple of people I talked to weren't sure how this was possible, but it was.

Until Thursday, that is. Now it only shows schedule information (for GRT-- realtime works just fine for other places that provide it.)

I'm not even sure what to suggest, either to GRT (can you fix what you just broke, please?) or to Transit App (do you know what's changed?)

Anyone here even know what GRT's realtime transit API is?

Have you tried tweeting at the Transit App folks? They have support for systems that are way more unconventional than GRT, although perhaps not with realtime information.

http://thetransitapp.com/blog/hello-nairobi

(I tried using Transit App in Montreal a few weeks ago and got hit by the learning curve, e.g. indicating present position and also in reading the direction of the bus. Oops.)

RE: Grand River Transit - zanate - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 03:56 PM)plam Wrote: Have you tried tweeting at the Transit App folks? They have support for systems that are way more unconventional than GRT, although perhaps not with realtime information.

http://thetransitapp.com/blog/hello-nairobi

(I tried using Transit App in Montreal a few weeks ago and got hit by the learning curve, e.g. indicating present position and also in reading the direction of the bus. Oops.)

I had tried contacting them. I just got a response now that they're already looking into it. So, that's good news.

RE: Grand River Transit - Waterlooer - 03-10-2015

I've noticed that the GRT desktop app isn't working anymore (at least for me) however the real time for the app works :/ It's probably an issue on the GRT side. I also checked out that app and I noticed a new test route? Called the 888. Here's where it goes.

[Image: Screenshot_2015-03-10-09-22-322_zpsa9h5p8xf.jpg]

RE: Grand River Transit - zanate - 03-12-2015

So as of mid-morning today, Transit App has working realtime data again.

For anyone who uses transit and carries Android or Apple, I cannot recommend this app enough.

(For those on Blackberry, well, that's a big reason why the region has funded the creation of their own custom application.)

Edit: and as of later the same day, it's gone again. Sigh.

RE: Grand River Transit - Canard - 03-12-2015

888 almost looks like the LRT route.

RE: Grand River Transit - Pheidippides - 03-12-2015

New audible bus announcements today warning of stops not in use between Victoria and Erb and detours for the 200 and 7.

RE: Grand River Transit - Waterlooer - 03-13-2015

(03-12-2015, 10:49 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: New audible bus announcements today warning of stops not in use between Victoria and Erb and detours for the 200 and 7.

Where did you hear this? On the 200 and 7 in Uptown/Downtown?

RE: Grand River Transit - Markster - 03-13-2015

Every automated stop announcement on the iXpress for the Uptown, GRH, and Victoria stops are accompanied by the speech "Beginning March 2015 stops on King street between Victoria and Erb will be closed. Please visit double-u double-u double-u dot grt dot ca for more information".  

It's only been one day, and I'm already hoping the closure starts soon so I don't have to listen to that 10 times a day.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 03-13-2015

You also hear them on the 11 and 22 on Charles.

Oddly, they direct you to the website, which won't post official detours until Monday.

RE: Grand River Transit - Markster - 03-16-2015

The official GRT construction detour is announced, and here's the map:
http://www.grt.ca/en/routesSchedules/resources/2015_ION_construction_map.pdf

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 03-16-2015

I still think the iXpress detour is not ideal. The 5005/5006 iXpress station should have been moved to Victoria and Weber, and a detour station should have been located on Weber between Union and Victoria.

RE: Grand River Transit - dunkalunk - 03-16-2015

Interesting detour they have going on to access Weber St via Queen and Benton, especially given that there are no stops planned along that portion of the route. I can understand using such a detour for Routes 1 and 8, but If the route is going to travel all the way to Courtland, why not just keep it on Courtland? Doing so would also more closely mirror the final LRT route, particularly if a stop is added at Block Line.

RE: Grand River Transit - Markster - 03-16-2015

I'm wondering if they're doing the ridiculous Queen/Courtland/Benton switchback to allow for a Benton/Charles iXpress stop with the 2015 service improvements.

I agree that the King/Vic stop should have been at Vic/Weber. I tweeted as much at GRT some time ago.

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 03-16-2015

(03-16-2015, 01:56 PM)Markster Wrote: I agree that the King/Vic stop should have been at Vic/Weber. I tweeted as much at GRT some time ago.

Good map! It demonstrates very neatly how ridiculous it is to have two stations so close together, followed by such a long gap. Another stop at Weber/Union (or Weber/Guelph, wherever is easiest) to replace the GRH station would be called for. I find it very strange that they themselves use the language of removing that station.

It's too bad they didn't reply to your tweet.