Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - ijmorlan - 09-09-2017

(09-08-2017, 09:55 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Also, with the #16/#3 dropping people at Mt. Hope and King they really need to fix the access to the GRH station's Ion platform at the north end.

That platform access is really weird. The platform has tactile plates on both sides as if crossing to the sidewalks is contemplated, but the curb between LRT and vehicle lanes runs through continuously and there are no curb cuts on the sidewalks. Very strange, and definitely incorrect design. Of course people who can handle steps will cross there anyway but that leaves wheelchair users in the lurch (literally, if their wheels are big enough to bump over the curbs!).

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 09-09-2017

They're supposed to be adding curb cuts and removing the lane curb for that, and a similar treatment at Frederick, Kitchener Market, and Borden would be expected.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 09-10-2017

We heard about bus stop upgrades earlier this summer. This afternoon I got to see some work in progress firsthand, at Ottawa and Westmount.

On Ottawa, here's the existing stop for the outbound 3 and future 205. Replacement and upgrade of the existing concrete (and hopefully with a shelter, too).

[Image: oIQMTpE.jpg]

In the other direction on Ottawa, this is a completely new stop in front of the funeral home - it will consolidate two existing stops, the one further up Ottawa (you can see it in the background) and one on the opposite side of Westmount. Clearly a pad for a shelter, too. 

[Image: 2HiUiw5.jpg]

On Westmount, here's the Conestoga-bound 12 platform. They're replacing and lengthening the pre-existing stop (which had a shelter, so should again).

[Image: m0Ow4St.jpg]

And finally, the Fairway-bound 12. This gets the least work, just a lengthening of the existing platform (which will be a big help for wheelchair users, they'll no longer need to exit with the shelter in front of them).

[Image: h5Bq9cY.jpg]

RE: Grand River Transit - Elmira Guy - 09-10-2017

They really need to put down a concrete pad on the north side of Lincoln at Weber (#12 route). It's a reasonably busy stop so everyone waits on the sidewalk and (unintentially) blocks the sidewalks for pedestrians.

RE: Grand River Transit - jerryhung - 09-11-2017

2018 route changes
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/new-grt-routes-2018-ion-lrt-public-consultation-1.4283315

I can't see anything that really impacts me on the east side/RIM Park (202/31) so meh..

RE: Grand River Transit - Markster - 09-11-2017

(09-11-2017, 10:59 AM)jerryhung Wrote: 2018 route changes
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/new-grt-routes-2018-ion-lrt-public-consultation-1.4283315

I can't see anything that really impacts me on the east side/RIM Park (202/31) so meh..

We already got our sole improvement this September. 10 minute rush hour frequency on the 202.

There's the outstanding question of whether we will get a King/University stop on the 202.

RE: Grand River Transit - goggolor - 09-11-2017

I see the #9 will be rerouted to run through Research & Technology Park, which I'll probably take advantage of in the winter to cut 500m off of the 1km walk from the LRT stop to my office. (I've already asked the park management and they have no plans to implement any shuttle or internal transit to encourage park employees to use the LRT).

RE: Grand River Transit - timc - 09-11-2017

I'm in the same situation at R&T Park. I'm disappointed to hear there will be no shuttle service. The placement of the ION stop is really unreasonable, especially when the 200 that runs through the heart of the R&T Park is being taken away.

RE: Grand River Transit - Canard - 09-11-2017

I wish some kind of PRT circulator (ULTra) could have been built in R&T Park. I'm sad the shuttle concept was removed. Sad I remember it being on the initial concept drawings.

RE: Grand River Transit - ijmorlan - 09-11-2017

(09-11-2017, 11:55 AM)timc Wrote: I'm in the same situation at R&T Park. I'm disappointed to hear there will be no shuttle service. The placement of the ION stop is really unreasonable, especially when the 200 that runs through the heart of the R&T Park is being taken away.

The whole design of the R&T park is atrocious. It should have been done as continuous buildings along Hagey Blvd. and Wes Graham Way, with parking behind. Then you could walk indoors or at least covered from the LRT stop to whichever section you needed (possibly ducking outside to cross the street, depending on the exact design). Also the streets would feel like somewhere, instead of just another suburban car-oriented space full of parking lots.

Note: I’m not proposing the absence of parking lots, which, combined with enormously better transit, would be my actual preference. I understand we’re not there yet.

The LRT is going to put the R&T Park main transit stop 500 meters further from every current employer (although are new buildings going up next to the station). I can't see anyone who currently drives to work deciding to switch to public transit when faced with a 1km walk in the snow every day in winter (it's an annual struggle just to get the park and its tenants to clear snow and ice from the public pathways so transit users can get from the bus stop to work).

Online comments for the GRT proposals are now open:
https://www.peakdemocracy.com/portals/274/Issue_5366

As for R+T Park, it's really the fault of the companies locating there. They're the ones who picked which plot of land to develop. Open Text wanted the choice property next to the creek. They clearly didn't care that it was far from the bus stop (I did that walk once in the winter, and it was not good), and farther from the future LRT station.

In the next 10 years, we're going to see the park begin to orient a little better around the LRT station. Hopefully, some developments are more than just single-use office buildings, and begin to have public lunch spots for the different offices.

Things will also likely improve when Wes Graham is connected to Laurelwood. It will be possible to run an actual bus route connecting Laurelwood to the offices, to the LRT station.

Is there an actual plan to connect Wes Graham to Laurelwood? I did a Google search and all I found was an old post from WRC suggesting this would be a good idea.

I've seen maps with those telltale arrows extending from one to the other.

It's never been a discrete, dated plan though. Next time I encounter one of those maps, I'll try to remember to save it.

RE: Grand River Transit - highlander - 09-11-2017

In the 2011 transportation master plan it was listed as a "Transit Priority Private Road" to be completed in 20+ years.