Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - goggolor - 08-15-2017

According to the GRT Map (http://www.grt.ca/en/schedules-maps/desktop-realtime-map.aspx) 3242 and 3720 are the GRH/Mount Hope Street stops.

GRT had indicated on Twitter last week that they were still finalizing the location of the iXpress stops so I assume the presser was early info and the online schedule is the final.

RE: Grand River Transit - yige_t - 08-15-2017

(08-14-2017, 04:18 PM)goggolor Wrote: The new cover has the Uptown Waterloo stop as Regina/Erb but the inside says Regina/Willis Way.

The online interactive schedule says Regina/Dupont NB and Regina/Erb SB.

So i have no idea where the bus will actually be stopping in Uptown.

(08-14-2017, 06:42 PM)dunkalunk Wrote: I'm also kind of confused about the route coming from the South. As far as I can tell, the route goes from Weber/Ottawa, doesn't stop at Frederick, stops at Charles/Water for some reason, stops at Charles Terminal, passes Charles/Water again without stopping, skips the stop at Victoria, and then continues on Park to Willis.

Both issues are fixed now:
http://www.grt.ca/en/schedules-maps/resources/Bus-schedules/PTT_RT_200-20170816-web.pdf

Uptown stop location is 5059 Regina/Dupont NB and 5064 Regina/Erb SB.
Charles/Water has been moved to its correct location between GRH-Mount Hope and Charles Terminal.

RE: Grand River Transit - dunkalunk - 08-15-2017

Got in touch with GRT. The Charles/Water stop apparently is the King/Victoria stop because buses can't turn left from King to Victoria. Seems awfully close to Charles St Terminal, and Victoria/Joseph would have gotten better coverage, but I'm OK living with this for a year.

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 08-18-2017

http://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Council/Detail/2017-08-22-Planning-and-Works-Committee/Agenda%20to%20Print.pdf

Looks like farecard roll out has been delayed till January 2018 Angry.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 08-18-2017

"Discussions are underway with the University of Waterloo on the potential for the 202 iXpress to serve the new UW transit plaza."

Well I sure do ope they allow it. UW wanted the sttation midblock, they can accommodate connecting services!

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 08-18-2017

Also interesting:

Quote:During the transition period before the multi-modal hub is operational, GRT will be looking to establish a “storefront” customer service function near the Frederick LRT station. Once the multi-modal hub is operational the need for the Frederick “storefront” operation will be evaluated. The advantage of maintaining both locations for customer service is some routes traveling through downtown Kitchener only connect with the Central Station and other downtown routes only connect with the Frederick Station.

Quote:Since the two local Universities are issuing student identification which is compatible with the Electronic Fare Management System (EFMS), theses cards will interface with the new fareboxes and will be active in September 2017 for the U-Pass program, which represents approximately 30% of GRT ridership.

Additonally, revisions have been made to the southwest Kitchener route plans and those now run differently than what was previously proposed.

The planned-for extension of iXpress 201 from Block Line Ion to Conestoga college is being brought forward to Fall 2018.

RE: Grand River Transit - dunkalunk - 08-18-2017

[Image: EvNvuo1.png]
Aforementioned Changes. They'll be public consultations in September.

Of all of the changes, Route 16 probably makes the least sense. Yes, the route is direct, but Grand River Hospital is not a good place for a route to terminate and is the only connection point to ION. Not intersecting with Mill ION is a mistake.

RE: Grand River Transit - D40LF - 08-19-2017

Ah, much better. I had previously spoken out against the proposed consolidation of route 11 and 22 into a large (inevitably, one-way) loop. I still think having local service on Ottawa St is a bit redundant. If Fischer-Hallman didn't have the density/ridership/whatever to support both iXpress and local service in 2011, what makes them think that... Ottawa St of all possible corridors does? lol

Personally, omit the 'Ottawa South' portion of the proposed route 3, and interline the 'Margaret' portion with 8 Courtland at Benton-Frederick (as they are today, basically).

26 Trillium? Back from the "dead"? Cool. Realign to Fallowfield Dr, please.

28 Franklin? via... Fourth Ave? Nope. Please don't. Franklin ain't even that far away.

And check out all those routes to the Sunrise Centre. Is staff planning to build a terminal at the Sunrise Centre, or will the terminus for the four routes that serve it be at the side of the driveway through the plaza, obstructing traffic?

Oh, and let's remember that Block Line Station can only accommodate one (articulated) bus in its bus bay off Courtland...

(08-18-2017, 05:53 PM)KevinL Wrote: "Discussions are underway with the University of Waterloo on the potential for the 202 iXpress to serve the new UW transit plaza."

Well I sure do ope they allow it. UW wanted the sttation midblock, they can accommodate connecting services!

Great, but this does nothing for us Beechwood West residents, namely those close to Keats Way who would be most inclined to use route 29 to access ION. Personally, I won't be walking 10+ minutes to the 202 on Erb, or taking an extended trip on the 13.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinT - 08-19-2017

Still nothing for the residents of Doon South. I'm 10 blocks away from the nearest peak-only route 76 stop, and in 3 months there will be occupied houses off the Blair Creek Dr extension that are 6 blocks farther out than me. When I moved here I didn't expect the transit shown on the neighbourhood plan to take this long to get to me. :-(

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 08-19-2017

(08-19-2017, 12:21 AM)D40LF Wrote: Great, but this does nothing for us Beechwood West residents, namely those close to Keats Way who would be most inclined to use route 29 to access ION. Personally, I won't be walking 10+ minutes to the 202 on Erb, or taking an extended trip on the 13.

On that one, I'd like to see the 29 go down Seagram to access Laurier/WP station. Bonus: one less route on the busiest part of University.

Quote:And check out all those routes to the Sunrise Centre. Is staff planning to build a terminal at the Sunrise Centre, or will the terminus for the four routes that serve it be at the side of the driveway through the plaza, obstructing traffic?
There are plans for a terminal-style area to be built at Sunrise, yes. Though there now appears to be more routes than I had anticipated...

RE: Grand River Transit - timio - 08-19-2017

(08-19-2017, 12:21 AM)D40LF Wrote: 28 Franklin? via... Fourth Ave? Nope. Please don't. Franklin ain't even that far away.

Fourth is the current route of the western branches of 7 at that end of town, so likely trying to retain ridership / existing stop infrastructure.  There's also a sizeable ridership base at the corner of Fourth / Wilson and Kingsway Community Centre is just north of Fourth on Wilson.  Franklin may only be a few blocks away, but sometimes a few blocks extra walking distance can make a huge difference.

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 08-21-2017

dunkalunk, what makes you say "Grand River Hospital is not a good place for a route to terminate"? Also, the 16 will connect with Ion there, and at Fairway.

RE: Grand River Transit - Andy - 08-21-2017

The 16 seems like two different routes now. One is Forest Glen <-> Hospital, and other Forest Glen <-> Conestoga.

The 16 won't connect at Fairway. That's the 10. Which is nice to see 15 minute service on the 10.

RE: Grand River Transit - trainspotter139 - 08-21-2017

(08-21-2017, 08:52 AM)Andy Wrote: The 16 seems like two different routes now. One is Forest Glen <-> Hospital, and other Forest Glen <-> Conestoga.

The 16 won't connect at Fairway. That's the 10. Which is nice to see 15 minute service on the 10.

Forest Glen Terminal won't exist after 2018. Block Line ION removes the need for it entirely. this new design of the 16 takes elements of the 11, 8 via Franklin/Westmount ,22 from Forest Glen to Downtown and the 2 from Highland/Stirling to Downtown and combines them into one Crosstown route from North Kitchener to South Kitchener and giving it evening and weekend service that has been needed for years and removing the remaining loop on the 10 (the other is being mostly removed with 2017 service changes as the 61 will now have evening service until 10:30 PM).

RE: Grand River Transit - dunkalunk - 08-21-2017

Route 16 needs to at the very least connect to Mill ION.

Unless a bus route is interlined as a cross-town (like 4/3), ending a route at GRH is annoying. Unless you are going to the hospital, or maybe Central Fresh, there aren't a lot of destinations around there that don't require significant walking. I'd prefer route 16 be extended to at least Uptown in order to better connect higher density residential to Uptown services and people in Uptown to their doctors office on Belmont without requiring a transfer.