Waterloo Region Connected
Whimsical Eccentricities in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Arts and Culture (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Whimsical Eccentricities in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=1276)

Pages: 1 2

Whimsical Eccentricities in Waterloo Region - kitborn - 09-16-2018

This thread is about whimsical eccentricities in Waterloo Region.   There is already an interesting thread on Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region but it is about art in public spaces, businesses, community centres, etc.   This thread is about whimsical, eccentric art people create on their front yards and homes.  And if you walk around the older neighbourhoods of Kitchener and Waterloo you will see some very odd pieces of art.

These were found on Duke Street.

RE: Whimsical Eccentricities in Waterloo Region - jgsz - 09-16-2018

On Filbert Street.

Notice the penguin on the right is wearing a Canadian flag.  How special is that?

RE: Whimsical Eccentricities in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 09-16-2018

At a more formal level, I've always found the Kaiser Wilhelm plinth in Victora Park to be eccentric (in a good way) - a statueless monument to a monument with a statue.

RE: Whimsical Eccentricities in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 09-16-2018

(09-16-2018, 09:35 AM)jgsz Wrote: On Filbert Street.

Notice the penguin on the right is wearing a Canadian flag.  How special is that?

One wants to know more ...

RE: Whimsical Eccentricities in Waterloo Region - kitborn - 09-17-2018

This rock art is another one from a home on Duke Street.

RE: Whimsical Eccentricities in Waterloo Region - jgsz - 09-18-2018

This house on Schneider Ave looks ordinary at first glance.

But if you look closer you'll see that the brickwork is most unusual.  I would like to know when and why they did this.  I wonder if they would allow some rock climbing....   Undecided

RE: Whimsical Eccentricities in Waterloo Region - kitborn - 09-18-2018

Another from Duke Street.

RE: Whimsical Eccentricities in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 09-18-2018

(09-18-2018, 06:43 AM)jgsz Wrote: This house on Schneider Ave looks ordinary at first glance.

But if you look closer you'll see that the brickwork is most unusual.  I would like to know when and why they did this.  I wonder if they would allow some rock climbing....   Undecided

rick mills could probably give you chapter and verse of it.  I seem to recall that the same person may have built one other similar place in town, but I can't recall where it is/was.

In a different vein, I loved the idea that the Waterloo Club was relocating to Kitchener. Then they changed the club's name, so "whimsical eccentricity" opportunity lost.

RE: Whimsical Eccentricities in Waterloo Region - Rainrider22 - 09-18-2018

(09-18-2018, 12:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote: In a different vein, I loved the idea that the Waterloo Club was relocating to Kitchener.  Then they changed the club's name, so "whimsical eccentricity" opportunity lost.

Too Funny, speaking of, is anyone on here a member or seen how the renovations turned out ?

(09-18-2018, 12:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 06:43 AM)jgsz Wrote: This house on Schneider Ave looks ordinary at first glance.

rick mills could probably give you chapter and verse of it.  I seem to recall that the same person may have built one other similar place in town, but I can't recall where it is/was.

Yes, Rych Mills is likely to something about this house.

(09-18-2018, 03:29 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 12:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote: rick mills could probably give you chapter and verse of it.  I seem to recall that the same person may have built one other similar place in town, but I can't recall where it is/was.

Yes, Rych Mills is likely to something about this house.

Yes, rych, not rick.  Sorry.

(09-18-2018, 06:46 PM)+L9Chicopee Wrote: Anyone remember the house on Guelph Street with the hundreds of gnomes and lawn ornaments? It would definitely fit in this thread. I can't find a picture of it.

That house with it’s ornaments was amazing.   Any one of those lawn ornaments on someone’s lawn would look tacky.  When they’re all together like this I think a message was being sent.  But I never understand what it was.

RE: Whimsical Eccentricities in Waterloo Region - kitborn - 09-19-2018

Here is a house on Alexandra Street in Waterloo. Lots to look at.

RE: Whimsical Eccentricities in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 09-19-2018

(09-19-2018, 10:47 AM)kitborn Wrote: Here is a house on Alexandra Street in Waterloo. Lots to look at.

Are those glass insulators around the bed at the foot of the tree?