Waterloo Region Connected
GO Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: GO Transit (/showthread.php?tid=12)

RE: GO Transit - Bytor - 08-10-2021

The person's updated fantasy map.

[Image: unknown.png]

RE: GO Transit - ijmorlan - 08-10-2021

(08-10-2021, 07:29 PM)Bytor Wrote: The person's updated fantasy map.

What about the Waterloo Spur to Elmira? I want a GO train to go past my house and up to Elmira Smile

(yes, I know that extending the LRT system up there probably makes much more sense)

Actually, if we’re creating a fantasy system, what happens if you rebuild every abandoned rail right-of-way? At one time, one could take a train to just about any significant town.

RE: GO Transit - danbrotherston - 08-10-2021

(08-10-2021, 07:59 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-10-2021, 07:29 PM)Bytor Wrote: The person's updated fantasy map.

What about the Waterloo Spur to Elmira? I want a GO train to go past my house and up to Elmira Smile

(yes, I know that extending the LRT system up there probably makes much more sense)

Actually, if we’re creating a fantasy system, what happens if you rebuild every abandoned rail right-of-way? At one time, one could take a train to just about any significant town.

I just had a sad moment where I realized that this map is probably close to representing what our train services actually looked like at some point in history.

RE: GO Transit - Chris - 08-11-2021

It needs a spur to Blyth. If I'm going to Goderich I need more Cowbell.

RE: GO Transit - Rainrider22 - 08-11-2021

LOL, now that was funny !

RE: GO Transit - jamincan - 08-11-2021

I want a Kitchener-Guelph-Hamilton line running through Campbellford, Flamboro, and Waterdown.

RE: GO Transit - tomh009 - 08-11-2021

(08-11-2021, 01:43 PM)jamincan Wrote: I want a Kitchener-Guelph-Hamilton line running through Campbellford, Flamboro, and Waterdown.

I'm thinking a Kitchener-Conestogo-Hawkesville-Wallenstein line would be the bee's knees.

RE: GO Transit - plam - 08-11-2021

(08-10-2021, 09:20 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-10-2021, 07:59 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: What about the Waterloo Spur to Elmira? I want a GO train to go past my house and up to Elmira Smile

I just had a sad moment where I realized that this map is probably close to representing what our train services actually looked like at some point in history.

They did. In fairness, it would probably take you all day to get to Collingwood from Toronto, but at least you could...

RE: GO Transit - nms - 08-11-2021

Briefly there was the Berlin, Waterloo, Wellesley and Lake Huron Railway Company which was to travel to Lake Huron via Glen Allen and Listowel. Let's toss that one in too. :-)

RE: GO Transit - ijmorlan - 08-12-2021

(08-11-2021, 10:52 PM)nms Wrote: Briefly there was the Berlin, Waterloo, Wellesley and Lake Huron Railway Company which was to travel to Lake Huron via Glen Allen and Listowel.  Let's toss that one in too. :-)

There is also the optimistically named Brockville, Westport and Sault Ste. Marie Railway:

https://www.heritagetrust.on.ca/en/plaques/brockville-westport-and-sault-ste-marie-railway

Only the 72km between Brockville and Westport was ever built; the distance from Westport to Sault Ste. Marie is about 832km.

RE: GO Transit - ac3r - 08-12-2021

(08-10-2021, 09:20 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I just had a sad moment where I realized that this map is probably close to representing what our train services actually looked like at some point in history.

They definitely did. OpenRailwayMap lets you map out old abandoned tracks, though you have to zoom in fairly closely for them to be displayed. Not all of them were passenger services, but many were and they went to all sorts of small little towns. You can also find lots of old railway maps on DuckDuckGo or Google Images that give you a sense of how vast the rail network was back in the day. We lost a lot to the car.

RE: GO Transit - jamincan - 08-12-2021

This kml file from U of T is the most comprehensive source I've seen: http://individual.utoronto.ca/sorailmap/

RE: GO Transit - not_taylor - 08-12-2021

Hey guys, I was informed of the existence of this forum haha. Hope you wouldn't mind me posting a more complete version of what Bytor posted earlier haha. I really should find more productive things to do with my life rn.

RE: GO Transit - tomh009 - 08-13-2021

Thanks, not_taylor, and welcome to the forum! Now we just need to convince one of the provincial party leaders to start moving in this kind of a direction!

RE: GO Transit - Acitta - 08-21-2021

This could have been written by someone in Waterloo Region with essentially the same complaints.

We don't need your promises, we need a damn bus to Kitchener