Waterloo Region Connected
GO Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: GO Transit (/showthread.php?tid=12)

RE: GO Transit - robdrimmie - 02-21-2020

Incidentally, yes I would be comfortable with this woman walking with my child across train tracks, assuming she's even able to do that anymore.

I honestly can't think of anyone who has a better understanding of the risk involved.

RE: GO Transit - jeffster - 02-21-2020

(02-21-2020, 09:29 PM)MidTowner Wrote:
(02-21-2020, 05:14 PM)jeffster Wrote: Not really. So here is a question: If you had a special needs child, or any child really, would you be letting her walk your child across railway tracks? Or anywhere, really? I know I wouldn't be OK with her. But perhaps you'd need to be a parent first to understand. The little child injured in this was not at fault.

I couldn't help but laugh when I read this. What, he's disqualified from making any comments if he doesn't happen to be a parent? And when did anyone say anything about the little child being at fault?

I didn't say that Dan (or anyone) said the little child was at fault (though some initial reports suggesting she saved the child who had ran away). I was making a statement myself that the child was not at fault. She was charged, so far only under laws related to Railway Safety Act, because of what she did "did fail to give way to railway equipment at a road crossing, Railway Safety Act sec 26.2". Had she been chasing the kid to get the child to safety it is doubtful any charges would have been laid.

And no one is disqualified from commenting on anything. That said, having experience in something, whatever it is, does give those with qualifications and those without, a much different perspective. For example, we can complain about building design (Drewlo!) but unless we're a designer and know all that there is to know about Drewlo, we can't come up with a qualified enough answer, just armchair opinions.

The same applies here; the details we have now is that she ignored the rail signals because their were locomotives shunting cars back and forth. This goes on for some time. Maybe the boy had to take a piss, and was getting irritated, so as the trains were reversing again, they made a beeline for it and crossed into the path of a faster moving GO train.

For sure her actions were dangerous though, as what happened shows that.

RE: GO Transit - jeffster - 02-21-2020

(02-21-2020, 10:08 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: Incidentally, yes I would be comfortable with this woman walking with my child across train tracks, assuming she's even able to do that anymore.

I honestly can't think of anyone who has a better understanding of the risk involved.

In that context, I understand. 99.9% sure she learned her mistake and it would never happen again. That said, might be difficult for her to get in the same line of work.

RE: GO Transit - KevinL - 05-06-2020

Upgrades in Guelph continue at a steady pace - there's a great post here on Urban Toronto, with lots of pics.

RE: GO Transit - ac3r - 07-18-2020

Metrolinx to provide update on Guelph, Waterloo region GO Train expansion

RE: GO Transit - tomh009 - 07-18-2020

I believe (more or less) normal GO Train service is due to be restored in September.

RE: GO Transit - KevinL - 07-19-2020

Probably less frequency on university-focused routes, but otherwise pretty normal, I'd bet.

RE: GO Transit - trainspotter139 - 07-23-2020

Plans underway to upgrade Kitchener GO to electric trains
Quote:KITCHENER -- Metrolinx has laid out its early plans to electrify the Kitchener GO line.
The provincially owned transit provider is moving closer to upgrading the line from diesel-powered trains to electrical ones.
However before the work goes forward, it will go to the public for consultation.
The project will cover 54 kilometres of rail line from Georgetown to Kitchener. It will require converting the stretch from conventional rail to a line with overhead power lines.
Metrolinx says electric trains are quieter, safer, faster and more efficient than the current diesel option.
An overhead power system will be similar to the ION lines.
The project will need at least two large power stations, one in Kitchener at Shirley Avenue and another one in Guelph, east of Highway 6 near Paisley Road.
The plans also need to work around 10 bridges and overpasses. Only two of those will need special attention, including the Margaret Avenue bridge. Metrolinx said it may need to lower the track and make other modifications at that bridge.
Metrolinx hopes to have firm plans in place by 2021, allowing work to begin.

RE: GO Transit - westwardloo - 07-23-2020

Well this is welcoming news! Glad to see they are potentially going ahead with electrification all the way to Kitchener. I thought for some reason they were only going to electrify the line to Brampton.

RE: GO Transit - danbrotherston - 07-23-2020

(07-23-2020, 09:03 AM)westwardloo Wrote: Well this is welcoming news! Glad to see they are potentially going ahead with electrification all the way to Kitchener. I thought for some reason they were only going to electrify the line to Brampton.

I'm not sure we will have the whole line electrified, the quote suggests they will end at Georgetown, which is where Metrolinx's ownership of the line ends. AFAIK CN will not permit electrification of their freight tracks, and Metrolinx has given up on purchasing CN's freight alignment from Georgetown on. So I'm guessing we'll still be using stupid dual mode locomotives.

RE: GO Transit - jamincan - 07-23-2020

Just to clarify, because I was initially confused - Metrolinx owns the track from Georgetown to Kitchener, but CN owns the track between Georgetown and Bramalea. The only other parts of the GO Network they don't own are the parts of Lakeshore West past Burlington, the Milton Line, and the Richmond Hill Line in York Region.

RE: GO Transit - tomh009 - 07-23-2020

(07-23-2020, 06:16 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
The plans also need to work around 10 bridges and overpasses. Only two of those will need special attention, including the Margaret Avenue bridge. Metrolinx said it may need to lower the track and make other modifications at that bridge.

I guess electrification wasn't considered when they rebuilt the Margaret Ave bridge!

That said, this is good news, even if partial electrification is less than ideal.

RE: GO Transit - jamincan - 07-23-2020

Wasn't it considered and they decided not to accommodate it?

RE: GO Transit - clasher - 07-23-2020

I thought the whole freight bypass thing the Ford gov't cancelled was supposed to make it easier to electrify the whole line?

RE: GO Transit - Bytor - 07-23-2020

(07-23-2020, 12:06 PM)clasher Wrote: I thought the whole freight bypass thing the Ford gov't cancelled was supposed to make it easier to electrify the whole line?

Nope. Not at all. Only supposedly less expensive to implement #2WADGO. It actually makes it harder to do it as electrified rail because of continuing to share tracks with CN.

Another supposed reason was because it would let them do it sooner than what the Liberals promised, but no timelines coming out of Metrolinx have change from the Wynne government promises.