Waterloo Region Connected
GO Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: GO Transit (/showthread.php?tid=12)

RE: GO Transit - Bytor - 08-30-2019

(08-28-2019, 11:30 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 10:19 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: That being said, yes, I do hope they don't make all stops...but then that would be complex in terms of both scheduling of trains, and for users of the system.

I've heard rumours of some countries running both "express" and "local" trains on the same line. Maybe that could work? Wink

Doing so requires a combination or larger headways and station siding tracks so that your express doesn't catch up to and get stuck behind the all-stops train. The fewer places where the stopped trains move onto a siding at the station, the more you have to rely on large enough headways.

However, the point is mostly moot for beyond (from Toronto) the Georgetown Station because of it only being singled tracked. That's why the new (half) express train at 6:10 is still all-stops until Bramalea Station. managing both all-stps+express and both directions on a single track would be very complicated and fraught with problems on any delay.

RE: GO Transit - timio - 08-30-2019

The 6:10 isn't new, just rescheduled from 6:05 (was 6:04 until January), still arriving at 7:56.

RE: GO Transit - tomh009 - 08-30-2019

(08-30-2019, 09:52 AM)Bytor Wrote:
(08-28-2019, 11:30 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I've heard rumours of some countries running both "express" and "local" trains on the same line. Maybe that could work? Wink

Doing so requires a combination or larger headways and station siding tracks so that your express doesn't catch up to and get stuck behind the all-stops train. The fewer places where the stopped trains move onto a siding at the station, the more you have to rely on large enough headways.

In general, yes. But for GO (to Kitchener) to shortest headway is 25 minutes (and usually much more), so the express train still wouldn't catch up to the local one.

RE: GO Transit - jamincan - 08-30-2019

Even on the Lakeshore line, express trains only skip the inner stations. (Port Credit to Expedition).

RE: GO Transit - Thenewsroom99 - 09-03-2019

Out of curiosity, I've been following the implementation of the new GO train service and, while it is only day one, there are clearly some issues.

The new 20:57 Kitchener to Union was about 10-15 minutes late departing Kitchener. GO is simply turning around the 18:53-20:50 train. If the train encounters any delay of over 5 minutes like it did tonight (10 minutes), it will typically not start its return to Union until just after 21:00.

Also, due to "passenger train traffic", the first 21:43 Union to Kitchener train will be stopping at Georgetown. This looks to be because the 19:51 VIA train from London hit an 1 hr 45 minute long delay from London to St Mary's. It just left Kitchener at 22:42 which would put it at Georgetown around 23:30.

All to say that if there is any kind of major delay, the new GO schedule seems to go out the window. It's too bad they can't extend the last train to arrive in Kitchener vs Guelph.

RE: GO Transit - danbrotherston - 09-09-2019

Serious delays and and even at least one train cancellation this morning, as a result of freight traffic. I guess this is the planned long term normal state for the Tory's cheaper "no bypass" train service.

I wonder how big a factor reliability is compared with frequency in the transit value proposition.

RE: GO Transit - Section ThirtyOne - 09-09-2019

(09-09-2019, 08:37 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Serious delays and and even at least one train cancellation this morning, as a result of freight traffic. I guess this is the planned long term normal state for the Tory's cheaper "no bypass" train service.

I wonder how big a factor reliability is compared with frequency in the transit value proposition.

Agreed.

What good is increased frequency if the trains are never on time?

RE: GO Transit - SammyOES - 09-09-2019

It seems to me that both the Liberals and Conservatives are doing (or did) half-assed jobs here - it's just a different half of the ass in each case.

It feels like the Liberals came up with a long-term plan and then just shrugged off doing any actual short-term improvements pointing out that things would be better a decade from now. The Conservatives have no long-term plan but are at least making short-term improvements...

RE: GO Transit - danbrotherston - 09-09-2019

(09-09-2019, 02:40 PM)SammyOES Wrote: It seems to me that both the Liberals and Conservatives are doing (or did) half-assed jobs here - it's just a different half of the ass in each case.

It feels like the Liberals came up with a long-term plan and then just shrugged off doing any actual short-term improvements pointing out that things would be better a decade from now.  The Conservatives have no long-term plan but are at least making short-term improvements...

Are they improvements though? Yes, it sounds like we have more trains, but if they cannot be relied on, it could be worse than not having them (because they cost money).

RE: GO Transit - ijmorlan - 09-09-2019

(09-09-2019, 02:40 PM)SammyOES Wrote: It seems to me that both the Liberals and Conservatives are doing (or did) half-assed jobs here - it's just a different half of the ass in each case.

Tongue Tongue Tongue

Quote:It feels like the Liberals came up with a long-term plan and then just shrugged off doing any actual short-term improvements pointing out that things would be better a decade from now.  The Conservatives have no long-term plan but are at least making short-term improvements...

There have been a number of improvements in GO service over the last few years, so I wouldn’t say the Liberals did nothing. My main complaint with them is having big plans but then not doing much with them. Remember that most of the lack of execution on Transit City in Toronto is actually the fault of McGuinty/Wynne, not Rob Ford (although Rob Ford kicked off the delays that eventually led to the almost complete non-execution of the plan).

RE: GO Transit - tomh009 - 09-09-2019

Now that is complicated ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX5gv8x4vSs

RE: GO Transit - MidTowner - 09-16-2019

Someone on Urban Toronto linked to this ridership map. It shows numbers for April to July this year.

Kitchener had a total of 24,200 riders, a 17.1% increase from the same period last year.

RE: GO Transit - Spokes - 09-17-2019

That's fantastic growth. I wonder if that was what they expected with the increase in service

RE: GO Transit - SammyOES - 09-17-2019

I'm pretty excited that I have an upcoming trip to Toronto where Go is the obvious best option on how to get there and back. It's never happened before because the times were always so limited.

RE: GO Transit - plam - 09-17-2019

(09-17-2019, 10:23 AM)SammyOES Wrote: I'm pretty excited that I have an upcoming trip to Toronto where Go is the obvious best option on how to get there and back.  It's never happened before because the times were always so limited.

Yep. I took the afternoon train out to Toronto last week and the evening train/bus back (the train/train existed but was 15 minutes slower). It gets me home a lot later (1.5 hours) but I don't have to drive.

I also have a friend visiting Waterloo (in general, lives in SF, but for this trip, coming from Toronto); he is taking the VIA on Sunday evening and the GO / 115 back to YYZ. It's more viable than it used to be.