Waterloo Region Connected
GO Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: GO Transit (/showthread.php?tid=12)

RE: GO Transit - Spokes - 01-29-2019

(01-29-2019, 08:29 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(01-29-2019, 12:24 AM)Spokes Wrote: Good on them for realizing they screwed up and making things right.

Agreed,  The key to good leadership is recognizing when you try something new, if it doesn't work, admit it and remedy the situation...

Well said.

RE: GO Transit - tomh009 - 01-29-2019

(01-29-2019, 08:46 AM)timio Wrote: Still waiting for the other shoe to drop... I don't trust them to just give an extra train without either taking a train away or messing with the schedule in another detrimental-to-quality-service way.

Cynical, perhaps.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.” 
― Joseph Heller, Catch-22.

RE: GO Transit - Rainrider22 - 01-30-2019

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/two-way-all-day-go-jeff-yurek-transportation-1.4998417

Supposedly the government is working towards all day service, albeit slow as molasses ...

"That's our goal, that we will have that in place before 2024. Definitely," Yurek said.

Yurek says he's also heard from people in the region who want trains from Toronto to Kitchener, particularly in the morning for commuters to get to work in Waterloo Region.

RE: GO Transit - MidTowner - 01-30-2019

If there were actually two-way, all-day train service between Kitchener and Toronto in less than five years' time, I wouldn't consider that "slow as molasses."

RE: GO Transit - Rainrider22 - 01-30-2019

(01-30-2019, 02:11 PM)MidTowner Wrote: If there were actually two-way, all-day train service between Kitchener and Toronto in less than five years' time, I wouldn't consider that "slow as molasses."

I mean that actual train itself.. Two hours is ridiculous for a trip...

RE: GO Transit - MidTowner - 01-30-2019

Oh, I see. You're definitely right about that.

I don't really consider added trains (if they still travel at that molasses pace, as you say) to be "service improvements" when we already have two-way, all-day service on the bus/train combination. You're definitely right that adding frequency of train service is only part of the equation, maybe not even the most important part.

RE: GO Transit - danbrotherston - 01-30-2019

(01-30-2019, 02:48 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Oh, I see. You're definitely right about that.

I don't really consider added trains (if they still travel at that molasses pace, as you say) to be "service improvements" when we already have two-way, all-day service on the bus/train combination. You're definitely right that adding frequency of train service is only part of the equation, maybe not even the most important part.

I think single seat trips are an improvement (I hate standing in the cold in Bramalea), but I'd agree that buses vs. train shouldn't be as big a deal as some feel.

I'd agree frequency and service window are important, and replacing bus trips with train trips would barely qualify as an improvement in these metrics.

As for slowness of trip, absolutely, and ironically, the Bus-Bus trip late at night beats the train trip easily.

RE: GO Transit - Viewfromthe42 - 01-30-2019

A question for all the upcoming TWAD trips would be how many available locomotives and passenger cars does GO have for those timeframes? If we've learned anything about vehicles, it's that it's a long process to procure them. If we're missing trains, given their timelines, that's where you start to measure how serious a government is.

After a few times being in Germany, I was impressed by how many trips work seamlessly by what seem to be two-car LRVs. They would do the equivalent of driving from London to Stratford to Kitchener to Guelph, on a regular basis (can't recall if it was 60 or 30 min frequency), but within those cities, they would stop at several locations, not just the central location, acting akin to an LRT route in town, helping people get closer to their destination, or avoid additional transfers.

RE: GO Transit - tomh009 - 01-30-2019

(01-30-2019, 03:41 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: A question for all the upcoming TWAD trips would be how many available locomotives and passenger cars does GO have for those timeframes? If we've learned anything about vehicles, it's that it's a long process to procure them. If we're missing trains, given their timelines, that's where you start to measure how serious a government is.

Standard train cars (and especially the bilevel coaches BBD builds for GO Transit) are much quicker delivery than bespoke LRT configurations. For the last order BBD built delivered about 100 cars to GO in 2018, and I believe the lead time was less than a year.

RE: GO Transit - jwilliamson - 01-30-2019

(01-30-2019, 04:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 03:41 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: A question for all the upcoming TWAD trips would be how many available locomotives and passenger cars does GO have for those timeframes? If we've learned anything about vehicles, it's that it's a long process to procure them. If we're missing trains, given their timelines, that's where you start to measure how serious a government is.

Standard train cars (and especially the bilevel coaches BBD builds for GO Transit) are much quicker delivery than bespoke LRT configurations. For the last order BBD built delivered about 100 cars to GO in 2018, and I believe the lead time was less than a year.

There's also the locomotive situation, but I would expect those are fairly well standardized as well.

RE: GO Transit - Spokes - 01-30-2019

(01-30-2019, 02:11 PM)MidTowner Wrote: If there were actually two-way, all-day train service between Kitchener and Toronto in less than five years' time, I wouldn't consider that "slow as molasses."

Why though?

What's stopping them from doing it this year?

RE: GO Transit - timio - 01-30-2019

1. CN owns the line from Bramalea to Georgetown, where the trains have to cross to get from the Georgetown south corridor to the North Mainline to Kitchener. Talks with CN have been slow in the past.
2. Operators. I've read that the lead time to get new conductors trained is not short. And it'd require some extra people to get enough to cover the new schedule.

RE: GO Transit - MidTowner - 01-31-2019

Even without the CN issue, two-way, all-day service would mean something like sixteen trains a day each way (I'm assuming that it would be similar service levels to Lakeshore West when it first got two-way, all-day, so hourly). That's a big increase in service levels relative to what we have today.

Getting that done anywhere, by any agency, in a year would be a very tall order. I had never read about the long lead time for new conductors, but that makes sense. Allocating resources to triple service takes time, and I am assuming (and hoping) it will be done incrementally. So, if we have that level of service running sometime in 2023, I really will be impressed.

RE: GO Transit - timio - 01-31-2019

Over on UrbanToronto, there are a few who are much more knowledgeable about these things than I. Typically comes up every few weeks.

RE: GO Transit - timio - 01-31-2019

In other news, I was on the 605 express this morning, which was supposed to arrive at 756. Finally arrived at to Union at 955, after turning local and back to express between Bramalea and Union.