Waterloo Region Connected
GO Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: GO Transit (/showthread.php?tid=12)

RE: GO Transit - MidTowner - 06-23-2016

(06-22-2016, 10:54 PM)SammyOES Wrote: 'Does the station align with Growth Plan policy?' Yes.  You can read about it in the Breslau Secondary Plan.

When Metrolinx says ‘'Does the station align with Growth Plan policy?' do they mean provincial planning, or local planning as well? jwilliamson is right that stations in areas such as Breslau do not promote the type of growth outlined in Places to Grow, or what the provincial government has supported elsewhere. They undermine it. What consideration does or should Metrolinx give to a township's area plan which probably detracts from overall provincial growth goals?

Even if growth doesn’t materialize in and around Breslau, though, there are a fair few people in east KW today who could access a station at Breslau. If it’s in the ten year plan, Metrolinx will have the chance to see if conditions change and their access to Kitchener GO improves sufficiently that there’s no need for a supplement.

RE: GO Transit - SammyOES - 06-23-2016

How does it not align with the Provincial plans?  I'd be shocked if Woolwich Township has gotten this far with something that "undermines" the Provincial planning guidelines.

My understanding of "Places to Grow" (which admittedly isn't very detailed), is that there are still areas where growth is going to happen.  Breslau is one such area, with the goal that it limits more haphazard growth in other areas of Woolwich Township.  By building a GO station there, you'll also be able to support more medium density housing in an existing subdivision then you probably could otherwise.

Edit: I'll add that this GO station will only happen as part of a massive growth in Breslau (which will almost certainly happen over the next 2 decades). It's proposed location is relatively far from the existing communities and doesn't have adequate infrastructure/servicing right now.

RE: GO Transit - MidTowner - 06-23-2016

I said that stations in areas like Breslau undermine provincial growth goals, and that Woolwich’s Breslau growth plan detracts from them. (I only point that out because you put quotation marks around undermine). It probably does, but that doesn’t mean it contravenes any planning document.

Places to Grow calls for a minimum of 40% of residential development to occur within existing built-up areas. How much development can occur outside of these areas is a function of how much total development happens, but rapid development in a place like Breslau makes it more difficult to meet that requirement under Places to Grow.

And building a station in a greenfield location such as Breslau promotes development there, outside of the designated built-up areas. That’s what jwilliamson was alluding to, and he’s right that a station in Breslau ultimately makes meeting the Places to Grow (and other) intensification targets more difficult.

I’m less than certain about massive development in and around Breslau, but it’s likely, and you’re right that the Go station wouldn’t be built before that happens.

RE: GO Transit - nms - 06-23-2016

It would be neat is the Breslau station became part of a short-haul Stratford-New Hamburg-Baden-Ira Needles-Victoria Street-Breslau GO route. Some time in the future GO might move beyond their "every train shall depart/terminate at Union Station and be 10-12 cars long" philosophy.

RE: GO Transit - SammyOES - 06-23-2016

MidTowner, I guess we just have different ways of looking at this. It seems by your logic that any development that happens outside of existing built up areas is undermining or detracting from the provincial growth goals. But that doesn't seem like the right way to look at it to me, since the provincial growth goals necessarily acknowledge that there needs to be significant growth that has to happen in new areas.

To me, choosing sensible locations for the new development seems exactly in line with the Provincial guidelines. And choosing new GO locations to go in those new developments seems exactly in live with the Provincial guidelines.

RE: GO Transit - KevinL - 06-23-2016

(06-23-2016, 03:26 PM)nms Wrote: It would be neat is the Breslau station became part of a short-haul Stratford-New Hamburg-Baden-Ira Needles-Victoria Street-Breslau GO route.  Some time in the future GO might move beyond their "every train shall depart/terminate at Union Station and be 10-12 cars long" philosophy.

Add Guelph to that service and I think you have a winner.

RE: GO Transit - nms - 06-24-2016

What do provincial rules say about municipalities operating rail service between jurisdictions? If Guelph, Kitchener, Waterloo (City and Region) and Stratford went splits on buying an RDC or two, and contracting GEXR to drive the trains, it would be an interesting experiment.

RE: GO Transit - mpd618 - 06-24-2016

(06-24-2016, 02:52 PM)nms Wrote: What do provincial rules say about municipalities operating rail service between jurisdictions?  If Guelph, Kitchener, Waterloo (City and Region) and Stratford went splits on buying an RDC or two, and contracting GEXR to drive the trains, it would be an interesting experiment.

I don't think provincial rules say anything about it. I think the idea of a connection like that has come up in Region of Waterloo and Guelph plans, but neither has a champion for it, and practically the service would have the same issues of limited track quality and availability that GO Transit does.

RE: GO Transit - KevinL - 06-25-2016

It would not be practical today, no - but once the corridor is fully double tracked, I think it is very doable.

RE: GO Transit - Elmira Guy - 08-02-2016

125 more rail cars for GO Transit ordered from Bombardier

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/125-more-rail-cars-for-go-transit-ordered-from-bombardier-1.3011981

RE: GO Transit - Canard - 08-02-2016

It's great news for Thunder Bay. They've cranked out something like a thousand of these cars over the years, for all sorts of different NA operators.

It'll be interesting to see how the production dovetails with the FLEXITY (Outlook and Freedom) orders.

RE: GO Transit - tomh009 - 08-03-2016

It's a separate production line. They'll recall some of the laid-off LRT workers to the Bi-Level production line, but otherwise they are pretty independent.

RE: GO Transit - Elmira Guy - 08-03-2016

I just wondered if this order indicated some more planned expansion of GO service.

RE: GO Transit - Markster - 08-03-2016

GO has been slowly and steadily expanding service for 15 years now, and it's probably safe to say that will continue. Internally, they might have an idea of the exact service increases these new cars will allow, but they're pretty tight lipped publicly.

Currently, we're already seeing little increases here and there due to the arrival of the new cab cars.

125 new passenger cars mean 11 new trainsets (they also require 1 (or 2) engine(s) and a cab car on top of 11 passenger cars). That will be 11 more rush hour runs across all their lines than today.

RE: GO Transit - Canard - 08-03-2016

There are also a good number of cars that will be going on 35+ years in service that they may either scrap or sell off to other operators.