Waterloo Region Connected
GO Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: GO Transit (/showthread.php?tid=12)

RE: GO Transit - Markster - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 02:49 PM)nms Wrote: Does anyone care to predict where the CN by-pass might go?  Are there defunct right-of-ways or disused hydro corridors that the province or CN already owns that would be an easy first choice?  I can imagine that this won't be a complete elimination of freight since there are still freight customers along the Kitchener line.

Approximately...
From near Bramalea station, following the 407, then either joining or paralleling the CP line from the west side of Mississauga to Milton.

[Image: missing-link-east-of-410.png]

[Image: missing-link-through-brampton-and-missis...3mar16.png]

RE: GO Transit - KevinL - 06-14-2016

There's a CN spur from Georgetown to Milton already, which could be combined with the line mapped above to bypass the entire Georgetown-Bramalea corridor.

RE: GO Transit - Canard - 06-15-2016

Any idea what times the 2 new trains will depart Kitchener at (and when they'll return)?

RE: GO Transit - Markster - 06-15-2016

(06-15-2016, 06:12 PM)Canard Wrote: Any idea what times the 2 new trains will depart Kitchener at (and when they'll return)?
In the past, there have been references to "half-hourly rush hour service", which would imply they're likely to be adding the middle train between the current two runs, and one either a half-hour before our first train, or a half-hour after the last.

Assuming they're just extending existing trains, this gives some probable runs:

Code:
KIT       GEORGETOWN     UNION
==============================

5:24   -->   6:23   -->   7:27  (kinda... really early)
5:49   -->   6:48   -->   7:52  *existing*
6:17   -->   7:16   -->   8:20  (likely)
7:10   -->   8:09   -->   9:13  *existing*
7:52   -->   8:51   -->   9:53  (extended from Mt Pleasant, currently our route 30 run connects with this)

Of course, they could also switch our 5:49 train to become the express run instead, which would mean it leaves 15 minutes later (6:04) and arrives 3 minutes later (7:55)

RE: GO Transit - Markster - 06-21-2016

Metrolinx has officially put Breslau station for the Kitchener GO line on the 10-year station expansion plan:
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20160628/20160628_BoardMtg_Appendix_2_Stations_EN.pdf

RE: GO Transit - Canard - 06-21-2016

That's great news! I've always felt Breslau is the perfect location for a big Park-and-Ride Lot, something common on GO's other lines (and virtually all other commuter rail systems) at the outlying stations. There are only like 20 parking spots at the current Kitchner station.

RE: GO Transit - clasher - 06-21-2016

(06-21-2016, 07:59 PM)Canard Wrote: That's great news! I've always felt Breslau is the perfect location for a big Park-and-Ride Lot, something common on GO's other lines (and virtually all other commuter rail systems) at the outlying stations. There are only like 20 parking spots at the current Kitchner station.

There's still plenty of land that isn't developed along Fountain where the tracks cross. I imagine a GO station would increase property values a little bit for those in Breslau and it's an easy drive from the east side of Kitchener and Waterloo.

RE: GO Transit - Spokes - 06-22-2016

(06-21-2016, 04:22 PM)Markster Wrote: Metrolinx has officially put Breslau station for the Kitchener GO line on the 10-year station expansion plan:
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20160628/20160628_BoardMtg_Appendix_2_Stations_EN.pdf

That's fantastic.  I'd imagine we start seeing it become a concrete part of Breslau plans too.  I remember seeing a proposed development make mention of the possible GO station, but now it's in the works.

RE: GO Transit - Viewfromthe42 - 06-22-2016

Makes it fun to look at the giant hole in the green belt between KWC and Guelph, see the Kitchener line put more stations in, highway 7 going in, and imagine all the suburbs that will sprout up over the decades to come.

RE: GO Transit - jwilliamson - 06-22-2016

After reading the list of Key Criteria, I'm surprised Breslau was recommended.

How many trips will start/end at this station? Would mostly cannibalize from Kitchener

Does the station connect to higher order transit and have potential to improve network/corridor service? No.

Does the station connect to key destinations? The airport

Time savings? Don't have to go downtown

Future market demand/development potential? If the region keeps following the Places to Grow Act, there shouldn't be much growth in the area.

Does the station align with Growth Plan policy? No, it will mostly make car-dependent suburban development easier.

Affordability/Ease of construction? Should be cheap.

If Metrolinx's goal is to turn all of southern Ontario into car-dependent bedroom communities for Toronto, this location makes sense. Otherwise, they should focus on putting stations where people and transit already are.

RE: GO Transit - KevinL - 06-22-2016

(06-22-2016, 01:19 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: Affordability/Ease of construction? Should be cheap.

I get the sense this was the primary factor.

The cynic in me says they added another Waterloo Region station because Carl Zehr is now on the Metrolinx board, but I have nothing to back that up so I'll stop here.

RE: GO Transit - Canard - 06-22-2016

If it "canabalizes" ridership from the downtown Kitchener station, that's because there's only like 20 parking spaces, so that's a huge obstacle for those who might consider using GO but won't because there's no guarantee once getting there of having a spot to park.

RE: GO Transit - Viewfromthe42 - 06-22-2016

(06-22-2016, 04:04 PM)Canard Wrote: If it "canabalizes" ridership from the downtown Kitchener station, that's because there's only like 20 parking spaces, so that's a huge obstacle for those who might consider using GO but won't because there's no guarantee once getting there of having a spot to park.

Every parking space in the lot at the North(east) corner of Victoria and Waterloo is also a GO parking space, free if you get printed ticket before 7.

RE: GO Transit - chutten - 06-22-2016

To say nothing of how we're building a new transit hub whose parking configuration has yet to be established.

RE: GO Transit - SammyOES - 06-22-2016

(06-22-2016, 01:19 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: After reading the list of Key Criteria, I'm surprised Breslau was recommended.

How many trips will start/end at this station? Would mostly cannibalize from Kitchener

Does the station connect to higher order transit and have potential to improve network/corridor service? No.

Does the station connect to key destinations? The airport

Time savings? Don't have to go downtown

Future market demand/development potential? If the region keeps following the Places to Grow Act, there shouldn't be much growth in the area.

Does the station align with Growth Plan policy? No, it will mostly make car-dependent suburban development easier.

Affordability/Ease of construction? Should be cheap.

If Metrolinx's goal is to turn all of southern Ontario into car-dependent bedroom communities for Toronto, this location makes sense. Otherwise, they should focus on putting stations where people and transit already are.

I think you're off on a couple of these.

'How many trips will start/end at this station?' I think there would be a lot of people that would be willing to take GO from a Breslau location that wouldn't be willing to drive downtown Kitchener. With the new highway 7 and the expected growth of Breslau there will be a lot of people within a 15 minute drive of a Breslau location that aren't within a 15 minute drive (or public transportation trip) of downtown Kitchener. It also opens up a reasonable public transportation option for people that live in Breslau (and area) and work downtown Kitchener/Guelph. With more frequent service (which we'll have by the time this ever opens), it won't just be about going to/from Toronto.

'Time savings?' Similar to above, lots of people would have a significantly shorter trip.

'Future market demand/development potential?' There's a ton of growth proposed for Breslau. The proposed location is part of a large subdivision that is planned and almost certainly won't be built until that subdivision is well under way.

'Does the station align with Growth Plan policy?' Yes. You can read about it in the Breslau Secondary Plan.