Waterloo Region Connected
GO Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: GO Transit (/showthread.php?tid=12)

RE: GO Transit - Canard - 02-29-2016

Kawasaki E231-500's!!  Can't wait!  My head is going to explode in a month when I'm there.

I think the new Cab cars look more like the NS VIRM's:

[Image: hvondelen-1319137838321.jpg]

RE: GO Transit - nms - 02-29-2016

I expect that we'll see new announcements about GO bus and rail service once the new layover facility on Shirley Ave is completed.

RE: GO Transit - KevinL - 02-29-2016

(02-29-2016, 01:10 PM)Canard Wrote: I think the new Cab cars look more like the NS VIRM's:

[Image: b578d7fcee5009717ee2e95c734bff66_XL.jpg]

Ooh, I have a weak spot for Dutch trains...

RE: GO Transit - Canard - 03-26-2016

I have a rather embarrassing question to ask... for a guy who likes trains so much, I don't often ride them in Ontario. It's been a while since I last took the GO train out of Kitchener, and I can't remember - is the station staffed that early in the morning? What is the procedure for buying a ticket - can it be done online ahead of time? I seem to recall the last time I was there seeing a long line of folks still waiting to get their ticket, as the train rolled up. Anxiety galore! I don't have a PRESTO card.

Thanks in advance.

RE: GO Transit - timio - 03-26-2016

I believe there is a kiosk on the platform.

RE: GO Transit - taylortbb - 03-26-2016

I don't believe you can buy online, but there should be an automated ticket vending machine on the platform.

You can order a Presto card online and have them mail it to you, doesn't cost anything extra compared to buying in person. With a Presto card you get a ~7.5% discount on everything GO transit.

RE: GO Transit - Canard - 03-27-2016

Can you get the Presto card from the machine on the platform? (I don't have enough time before my trip to have it mailed)

RE: GO Transit - jamincan - 03-27-2016

The Kitchener GO Station does have a automated ticket vending machine that accepts debit/credit cards. Alternately, you can buy tickets at the window from 5:15-9:15 M-F or 8:00-1:00/3:30-7:40 Sa-Su. Alternately, PRESTO cards can be purchased at all GO Stations, cost $6, and require $10 to be loaded on initially.

Thanks - this is really helpful!

I'm going to take GO/UPX to the airport - $20.50 instead of almost $200 to park at Pearson (for the duration of my trip) or whatever it is that Waterloo Taxi charges. It's not immediately obvious what I have to do to transfer at Weston but I understand there may be 2 different kinds of Presto reader there, and I'll have to tap-off of GO, and tap-on to UPX.

RE: GO Transit - tomh009 - 03-27-2016

That's a good way to get to Pearson -- if we only had all-day service (and weekend service), the current weekday service doesn't work for most of the flights I take. Maybe some day ...

Yeah, I just happen to have a flight that's "close enough" to make it work out. I'll be marooned at the airport for a couple more hours than I'd like, but it'll be ok.

I checked out the platform this morning and yeah, the automated vending machine is going to be the easiest, for sure.

RE: GO Transit - KevinL - 03-27-2016

You can also buy a Presto card at the Charles bus terminal; they have better hours than the train station, I believe.

RE: GO Transit - jamincan - 03-27-2016

If you have a couple hours to spare, go all the way to Union and check out everything that's happening there! I think you can even check in at the UPX station at Union, afaik. (actually, a brief search didn't turn up anything, so maybe not?)

RE: GO Transit - rangersfan - 04-29-2016

Expanded GO bus service to Cambridge (i"ll admit I didn't even know that the GO bus had a route to Cambridge) .

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/6520649-cambridge-to-milton-go-bus-service-expands-in-september

RE: GO Transit - Markster - 04-29-2016

The 25 stops at SmartCentres on Hespeler road, which counts!