Waterloo Region Connected
GO Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: GO Transit (/showthread.php?tid=12)

RE: GO Transit - jamincan - 11-18-2015

I thought I read somewhere that CN won't even let GO access to the tracks to determine if they could add an additional line on the ROW. That hardly seems reasonable to me.

RE: GO Transit - Drake - 11-19-2015

Here is a lever Ookpik

NATIONAL TRANSPORTATION POLICY

Declaration

5. It is declared that a competitive, economic and efficient national transportation system that meets the highest practicable safety and security standards and contributes to a sustainable environment and makes the best use of all modes of transportation at the lowest total cost is essential to serve the needs of its users, advance the well-being of Canadians and enable competitiveness and economic growth in both urban and rural areas throughout Canada. Those objectives are most likely to be achieved when

(e) governments and the private sector work together for an integrated transportation system.

RE: GO Transit - jamincan - 11-19-2015

My understanding is that the problem spot for additional GO service is in Brampton where CN still owns the rail corridor.

RE: GO Transit - KevinL - 02-14-2016

Ironic, for one of the coldest days of the year.

Kitchener GO Transit bus fire due to "mechanical malfunction"

RE: GO Transit - BuildingScout - 02-26-2016

Quote: It promises eventual all-way, two-way GO service on all lines, with Saturday service starting this year for the first time on the Kitchener and Barrie lines.

From today's Ontario budget.

RE: GO Transit - jwilliamson - 02-26-2016

Quote:10 new trips during the midday/evening (i.e., off-peak trips) on the Kitchener corridor to/from the City of Brampton; and
52 new trips on each weekend day (i.e., a typical Saturday) on the Kitchener corridor to/from the City of Brampton and the Barrie corridor to/from Aurora.

Looks like the expanded service won't be all the way to Kitchener to start.

RE: GO Transit - DHLawrence - 02-26-2016

Will the weekend service go all the way to Kitchener or just Brampton or Mount Pleasant?

RE: GO Transit - DKsan - 02-26-2016

Probably Mount Pleasant.

Alternately, in that same budget, it says they're funding improved GO bus service to Cambridge. Not Waterloo Region, but Cambridge specifically.

Maybe they'll route some GO buses to Ainslie Terminal?

RE: GO Transit - jamincan - 02-26-2016

I suspect the service will stop at Bramalea as there are issues with capacity on the CN corridor through Brampton.

RE: GO Transit - DKsan - 02-26-2016

(02-26-2016, 11:52 AM)jamincan Wrote: I suspect the service will stop at Bramalea as there are issues with capacity on the CN corridor through Brampton.

That's we thought when they first said they were putting in day service to Brampton -- until they revealed that they were putting it to Mount Pleasant.

RE: GO Transit - Markster - 02-26-2016

Yeah, I was about to chime in saying it'll probably only go to Bramalea... but then I remembered that they have introduced mid-day service to Mount Pleasant already. So it's tough to say. You can count on service to Bramalea for sure. We'll see about Brampton and Mount Pleasant.

RE: GO Transit - Canard - 02-26-2016

It is so misleading and disheartening to hear "Saturday service on the Kitchener line" and then say "oh but it's going like 2 stops out of downtown Toronto - sorry."

Essentially this announcement (the Saturday service part) means nothing to Waterloo Region so it's nothing to get excited about.

So frustrating. I love Kathleen, don't get me wrong but it just feels like it's never gonna happen.

RE: GO Transit - SammyOES - 02-26-2016

It's probably still better than nothing - but yeah, definitely nothing to get excited about.

RE: GO Transit - Canard - 02-26-2016

Better than nothing for those in Bramalea, yes. For us: no change at all.

RE: GO Transit - Elmira Guy - 02-26-2016

I'll be shocked and amazed (and incredibly pleased) if we see regular and frequent GO train service to Waterloo Region within the next 20 years.

I realize there are hurdles to overcome, but nothing that political will can't overcome. I too like Wynne, but I don't see any government changing the current situation for a very long time.