Waterloo Region Connected
Site Funding - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Connected Café (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Forum Issues (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Site Funding (/showthread.php?tid=1186)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Site Funding - Spokes - 07-09-2018

(07-09-2018, 09:56 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(07-09-2018, 08:48 AM)Brenden Wrote: When you go to buy something click on the link from the about us page, then find the item you want and buy it. Amazon works on an affiliate model meaning the last person to refer you to their site gets credit if you buy something within 12 hours

OHHHH !!   Thanks,  that is easy.  I am off to do some shopping now.   To be clear, each time I buy something, I should launch my Amazon account from the WRC link ?

I believe so.  Like Brenden said, it gives credit to the person who's link you clicked within 12 hours.

RE: Site Funding - Canard - 07-09-2018

Spokes!

So crappy to hear about what happened, and I know what it's like going down to a single-income family. It's a big change! You'll get through it!

Happy to continue to support the site through donation and will def. do any future Amazon purchases through the link!

Thanks again for everything you do.

-Iain

RE: Site Funding - nms - 07-09-2018

Have you considered crowdfunding subscription platforms like Patreon?

RE: Site Funding - Canard - 07-09-2018

Isn’t Patreon content-based? ie, you get paid per video or drawing or whatever? How would that work for a webpage/forum?

RE: Site Funding - Viewfromthe42 - 07-09-2018

No, James Jackson (published in The Record and The Waterloo Chronicle) tried to do a Patreon where he sought a monthly total, which would go towards a monthly in-depth feature piece on something in Waterloo Region, I believe to help him balance being a stay-at-home father. The deduction would have happened on a monthly basis, not per publication.

RE: Site Funding - KevinL - 07-09-2018

The creators I follow on Patreon tend to work with a monthly donation, and give donors extra access - previews of new materials, unreleased insider knowledge, etc.; but this isn't a requirement. Spoke could work with patrons to have their subscriptions publicly acknowledged here on the message board, or some other kind of recognition.

RE: Site Funding - Spokes - 07-09-2018

I'll be honest, I don't know a ton about Patreon or the other crowdfunding options. Patreon takes 10% though, wouldn't simple Paypal donations make more sense? What's the advantage to the former?

RE: Site Funding - KevinL - 07-09-2018

Probably not much advantage to Patreon, it's just an option that's out there. I was spitballing.

RE: Site Funding - Spokes - 07-10-2018

I appreciate the spitballing. I like that people want to help

RE: Site Funding - jeffster - 07-11-2018

(07-10-2018, 06:47 AM)Spokes Wrote: I appreciate the spitballing. I like that people want to help

I'm stilling going to suggest "Premium" memberships for people that donate. Talk is cheap, lot's of people do it. But few actually spring into action when needed. However, I feel that most members here are genuine people, would be more than happy to donate to an excellent site devoted to the going on's of the region. Where else can we find Ion updates on the fly? New developments? Places to eat. Entertainment. The list goes on.

Sure, we have our struggles now and then. Our disagreements. But you've done a great job at keeping the place civil. Keep up the great work.

RE: Site Funding - panamaniac - 07-11-2018

Spokes, do you have an annual fund-raising target? I'm wonder whether it would be possible to post it on the "Donate" page, along with something like a thermometer to show progress being made toward the target?

RE: Site Funding - Spokes - 07-11-2018

(07-11-2018, 06:49 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 06:47 AM)Spokes Wrote: I appreciate the spitballing. I like that people want to help

I'm stilling going to suggest "Premium" memberships for people that donate. Talk is cheap, lot's of people do it. But few actually spring into action when needed. However, I feel that most members here are genuine people, would be more than happy to donate to an excellent site devoted to the going on's of the region. Where else can we find Ion updates on the fly? New developments? Places to eat. Entertainment. The list goes on.

Sure, we have our struggles now and then. Our disagreements. But you've done a great job at keeping the place civil. Keep up the great work.

Thanks jeffster!
I'm intrigued by the idea, but I'm just not sure what the "premium" content is that donors would have access to.

(07-11-2018, 09:44 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Spokes, do you have an annual fund-raising target?  I'm wonder whether it would be possible to post it on the "Donate" page, along with something like a thermometer to show progress being made toward the target?

I'll be honest, I've never gone into it with a target in mind, just happy to get whatever help I can Smile

If there's a way to add in a thermometer, that'd be pretty cool. I'm not sure there's any plugins for that with mybb 

As I say that, a long term fundraising goal would be to come up with the money for xenforo or a replacement for mybb along those lines.

RE: Site Funding - Markster - 07-11-2018

I think having a fundraising goal posted, and progress towards that indicated, would be a good first step.

I read this thread, and I still don't know what kind of help you need or want. There's just lots of vague discussion around getting money in some indistinct quantity.

I will say, the "Support this site without paying a dime" ad on the front page is not a good look. It looks like a generic ad from the dark depths of the internet trying to sucker you into installing a virus.

We can definitely set up some sort of goal tracking. As for what kind of help, I'll say what I've always said, I don't expect donations, but I appreciate every penny we raise.

The point of this was to info the community that I'd be seeking ways to raise funds through the site in a yet to be determined way.

Thanks for the feedback on the support image. Is it the image in particular you object to, or it's existence in general?