Waterloo Region Connected
Errors when quoting - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Connected Café (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Forum Issues (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Errors when quoting (/showthread.php?tid=1012)

Pages: 1 2

Errors when quoting - robdrimmie - 08-05-2017

I'm unable to quote. User error a high possibility.

I'm on OS X 10.12 (Sierra), using Chrome 49.0.3071.115 (the current build).

When I click the "quote" button at the bottom of a quote, I see this in my console

general.js?ver=1800:531

Uncaught ReferenceError: cookieSecureFlag is not defined
   at Object.set (general.js?ver=1800:531)
   at Object.multiQuote (thread.js?ver=1800:82)
   at :1:8

and then when I click the "Quote these posts now" link in the reply textarea, I see the following error:

VM1082:1

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected end of JSON input
   at JSON.parse ()
   at Function.m.parseJSON (jquery.js?ver=1800:5)
   at Object.multiQuotedLoaded (thread.js?ver=1800:116)
   at Object.complete (thread.js?ver=1800:99)
   at j (jquery.js?ver=1800:2)
   at Object.fireWith (jquery.js?ver=1800:2)
   at x (jquery.js?ver=1800:5)
   at XMLHttpRequest.b (jquery.js?ver=1800:5)

Any suggestions for different ways to quote posts or things to try are very much appreciated.

RE: Errors when quoting - Canard - 08-05-2017

Quoting has always been buggy for me, too - and had never worked on mobile.

RE: Errors when quoting - clasher - 08-05-2017

I've never had it work for me either, but if I hit reply it'll get the post I wanna quote.

RE: Errors when quoting - tomh009 - 08-05-2017

I never use the quote button. But trying it now, I don't even know what the difference is, the behaviour seems the same either way.

To the original poster: if it doesn't work with just reply, can you try with Safari or Firefox?

RE: Errors when quoting - jamincan - 08-05-2017

I think the intended behaviour is that when you toggle the quote button on a number of posts, when you finally hit a quote-reply button, it will open a reply with all of the posts you had toggled showing up as quotes in the reply. This is useful to avoid situations where one person replies several times in a row to different posts in the same thread; instead, they simply toggle the posts they wish to reply to, and then respond to them all in a single post.

RE: Errors when quoting - timio - 08-05-2017

Firefox fails as well.

RE: Errors when quoting - Elmira Guy - 08-05-2017

Quoting does not work on my Blackberry (yes, you heard me), but when I switch it to "desktop mode" then it works fine.

(08-05-2017, 08:09 PM)jamincan Wrote: I think the intended behaviour is that when you toggle the quote button on a number of posts, when you finally hit a quote-reply button, it will open a reply with all of the posts you had toggled showing up as quotes in the reply. This is useful to avoid situations where one person replies several times in a row to different posts in the same thread; instead, they simply toggle the posts they wish to reply to, and then respond to them all in a single post.

It's the multi-quote! But it doesn't seem to do anything for me anyway.  (This is on Firefox.)

RE: Errors when quoting - jamincan - 08-05-2017

For the record, it doesn't work for me in Chrome either, I'm just guessing that that is the intended behaviour.

RE: Errors when quoting - Spokes - 08-05-2017

I think the quote feature is intended for quoting multiple posts. I should just remove it to be honest with you, it's buggy.

Use the reply button. Does that work for everyone?

RE: Errors when quoting - Canard - 08-05-2017

If it doesn't work it might not be a bad idea.

What I usually do: I ⌘-click the "Reply" button below each post that I want to multi-quote... then scroll to the bottom of the original page, then flip to each new tab, Copy/Paste that text back into the original reply. Sounds tedious but I can fly through it really quick and it works well.

I really wish it worked on Mobile, though - I'm a heavy mobile user of this forum and if I want to quote I have to switch to the Desktop version, grab the code, and try to wrestle with it that way.

Mobile is a weakness in myBB. You need to use a third party plugin, which works, but is very simple.

I was sold on myBB when the site first launched, but down the road a change could be in order.

Migration is always painful though ...

(08-05-2017, 10:39 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Migration is always painful though ...

And there it is.  I really don't want to have to do that.

RE: Errors when quoting - tomh009 - 08-06-2017

(08-05-2017, 10:53 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(08-05-2017, 10:39 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Migration is always painful though ...

And there it is.  I really don't want to have to do that.

Maybe some day MyBB 2.0 will be released, with mobile support ...