Waterloo Region Connected
Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more (/showthread.php?tid=530)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more - Rainrider22 - 12-15-2016

(12-15-2016, 10:00 AM)Canard Wrote: No, I've only touched the edge of Germany (Rust). Sad the accident at Emsland means a ride on the Transrapid is now out of the question. Sad But yes am quite familiar with the Schwebebahn! Another excellent video by my friend Luke:

That is really cool....  We would never be that brave here to try something different though....

RE: Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more - Viewfromthe42 - 12-15-2016

That looks exactly like the implementation Brampton wants for their LRT. They want to avoid going anywhere near their downtown, so they want to route it through a naturalized creek.

RE: Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more - Canard - 12-15-2016

Wasn't suggesting Wuppertal for RoW; but the Siemens systems I mentioned on the previous page would have been great.

RE: Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more - chutten - 12-19-2016

I was lucky enough two weeks ago to have work ship me to Hawaiʻi for a week's conference-sort-of-thing. We were at the Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort and they had one of these:

Casual searching comes up with very little information other than "Swiss-made".

So: what are they? And was the fact that walking was often faster the fault of their system (pdf), their rotational switches, their operators, or the trams themselves?

RE: Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more - Canard - 12-19-2016

It's a custom thing made by Schwager Davis. It used to be a Von Roll monorail from what I recall and then SD did a big overhaul on it. Similar system runs in Indianapolis at the Clarion Health Sciences centre.

Yeah; more here:

http://www.schwagerdavis.com/projectsnews/

http://www.schwagerdavis.com/project/hawaiis-hilton-waikola-people-mover-undergoes-extensive-renovation/

As far as speed goes: you can thank the fact that it runs on sidewalks for that. See why I've got such a hard-on for putting these types of things up in the air? Wink

RE: Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more - chutten - 12-19-2016

"runs on sidewalks" FWIW, it runs on a dedicated transitway that has at-grade pedestrian crossings. (If this is what you said, but more succinctly, then that's my bad.) I was disappointed that in the stretches between crossings they didn't kick it up a bit, but that seemed to also be where they put the ever-so-slowly-turning switches.

Ah well, there's a reason the staff call it the Hilton Walkalot Village.

Haha! I'm intrigued by your visit - Hawaii is on our list of places to visit, and I wanted to stay at that resort just to check out that system. Wink

RE: Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more - ijmorlan - 12-19-2016

(12-15-2016, 01:12 PM)Canard Wrote: Wasn't suggesting Wuppertal for RoW; but the Siemens systems I mentioned on the previous page would have been great.

Wuppertal is awesome. If I ever go anywhere near I’ll have to make a point of taking it. One thing I find interesting about it is that the bottom of vehicles I think are just smooth — how many other vehicles are like that? Maybe not any — not even aircraft!

It's appropriate we're discussing Wuppertal - since on Sunday, they put into service the first 5 of their brand-new trains:

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/europe/new-trains-enter-service-on-wuppertal-suspension-railway.html?channel=537

[Image: aussenansicht-vorne-buero_staubach-653x408.jpg]

Stadler is building 31 new trains for them.

It's pretty cool seeing such futuristic new vehicles on 100+ year old infra. I hate the term - but it's maybe a little "steampunk", even. Smile

RE: Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more - tomh009 - 12-19-2016

What's the downside of this "upside-down monorail" as compared to the usual monorail? The rail is obviously higher but that also makes it less visually obtrusive in my eyes.

Wuppertal's structure is massive and is a result of the technology available at the time.

The Siemens systems in Dortmund and Düsseldorf (see previous page) are much more elegant structure-wise.

It's 6-of-one... I like straddle beam monorails more but I couldn't tell you why. Personal preference. The guideway is a little less obtrusive if the train sits on top since the supports don't have to "reach over".

A nice little video about the first day of service with the new trains:

It's kind of crazy to watch that, and then compare that to this:

[Image: schwebebahn128~_v-gseapremiumxl.jpg]

...knowing it's the same system?!

RE: Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more - tomh009 - 12-19-2016

Yes! You get the same feeling from a lot of the older Tokyo railway bridges (Yamanote sen!) that were built more than 100 years ago.

London has some of that, too! I remember getting off at Baker Street, stepping out of a shiny new train into a station that is older than Canada!

A lot of the Docklands Light Railway stuff is built onto hundred year old stone structures, too - so you have this cool automated train running across stone bridges and stuff.

I am all about new and brutalist (Westminster is heaven!), but I was pretty smitten with that - the whole Underground, overall. That constant tug between old and new.