Waterloo Region Connected
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete (/showthread.php?tid=710)

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 08-08-2021

They've started painting some of the pre-cast panels black. The render on http://charliewest.ca/ does show the black and white design, but I'm surprised to see that it's still happening. I'm curious if it'll be black and white, or black and concrete grey.

August 20th (next week Friday) is the first occupancy, some people already have the moving elevators booked for 5pm that day.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 08-12-2021

May be hard to see in the photo, but they've started painting other parts of the precast in a white/beige colour. It looks like all the precast panels on the building are getting painted to match the render.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 08-14-2021

Why wouldn't they have cast the panels in the correct colour to start with? It would surely last longer and cost less. Are there other issues with that approach?

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - ac3r - 08-15-2021

Concrete is a fairly expensive thing to dye, so it's not usually done on a large scale.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 08-15-2021

(08-15-2021, 10:01 AM)ac3r Wrote: Concrete is a fairly expensive thing to dye, so it's not usually done on a large scale.

Ahhh ... I figured the labour cost would be lower, but maybe not. Or maybe more dye/paint will be required, and it adds more cost than the savings in labour.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - KevinL - 08-19-2021

Another problem with dying concrete is getting a consistent colour over multiple manufacturing runs. Very close quality control measures, which further bumps up the cost.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 08-20-2021

First occupancy happened today. Given how much of a construction site it still is I'm glad I won't be moving in for another few months. I don't think I'd be getting many deliveries with a maze like that to get to the front door.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - cherrypark - 08-22-2021

Looks like the one corner has the full coat of black now, and the off-white adjacent.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - jeremyroman - 08-25-2021

Lower floors started occupancy August 20, but occupancy has been pushed back several months (into 2022) for much of the top half of the building.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 08-25-2021

(08-25-2021, 02:53 PM)jeremyroman Wrote: Lower floors started occupancy August 20, but occupancy has been pushed back several months (into 2022) for much of the top half of the building.

Yep, I'm March 7 final firm occupancy date on the 30th floor.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Spokes - 08-28-2021

Worth the wait for sure! (Says the guy who doesn't have to wait, hang in there Taylor)

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 09-10-2021

Thought this might be of interest to people. Apparently as a part of density bonusing Momentum agreed to a gallery space in the podium. The long narrow space marked as Unit 14 will be given over to KWAG, and will contain rotating art. The exterior wall will be full glass, so the art is displayed to those walking along Gaukel St (there's no interior access, except to KWAG staff).

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - ac3r - 09-10-2021

Nice! That's a great idea to expand art in this region.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 09-10-2021

Excellent! And even better on a pedestrian street.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 09-14-2021

Looking north-ish from the roof of Charlie West. Even 1 Victoria looks pretty small from up here.

And looking west-ish from the 30th floor