Waterloo Region Connected
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete (/showthread.php?tid=710)

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 03:54 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Apparently all 4 retail units are sold. Have it on good authority the corner unit at Charles/Gaukel will be a restaurant/bar, and there will also be a takeout restaurant in one of the other units.

"271 West on Charles" ... in the corner unit, I believe.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Bytor - 06-13-2021

(06-11-2021, 03:54 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Apparently all 4 retail units are sold. Have it on good authority the corner unit at Charles/Gaukel will be a restaurant/bar, and there will also be a takeout restaurant in one of the other units.

So Kava Bean is not coming back? :-( The word was, back in the day, that they were going to have the right of first refusal in the new commercial space at Charlie West.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - ac3r - 06-13-2021

Shaping up. Ignoring the parking garage facade - which I'm fairly indifferent to and don't believe looks all that bad (but the original proposal would have been better) - this building is a bit of a disappointment...but most condos are.

[Image: 4YVGrBo.jpg]

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Acitta - 06-13-2021

(06-13-2021, 11:09 AM)Bytor Wrote:

So Kava Bean is not coming back? :-( The word was, back in the day, that they were going to have the right of first refusal in the new commercial space at Charlie West.
Their FB post from Feb 14, 2018 said that they would keep people posted about plans for a new location, but subsequent posts ending Mar. 3, 2018 were only about the sale of fixtures. I guess that they threw in the towel.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - cherrypark - 06-13-2021

(06-13-2021, 02:48 PM)ac3r Wrote: Shaping up. Ignoring the parking garage facade - which I'm fairly indifferent to and don't believe looks all that bad (but the original proposal would have been better) - this building is a bit of a disappointment...but most condos are.

In architecture, we joke that a condo will always look bad, but at least it's a guaranteed pay cheque.

Holding out that the painted concrete (at least, assuming its still going to be white?) will add a little intrigue. I think on balance its come out pretty close to the marketed building, which were not amazing but thats a virtue I'll take over some of the others in town.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Bjays93 - 06-14-2021

Its better than any other highrise in town right now. That's for certain. Not great but I'll take it

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - jeremyroman - 06-14-2021

(06-13-2021, 07:47 PM)cherrypark Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 02:48 PM)ac3r Wrote: Shaping up. Ignoring the parking garage facade - which I'm fairly indifferent to and don't believe looks all that bad (but the original proposal would have been better) - this building is a bit of a disappointment...but most condos are.

In architecture, we joke that a condo will always look bad, but at least it's a guaranteed pay cheque.

Holding out that the painted concrete (at least, assuming its still going to be white?) will add a little intrigue. I think on balance its come out pretty close to the marketed building, which were not amazing but thats a virtue I'll take over some of the others in town.

Do we know whether they intend to do that or not? They're already talking about PDIs and occupancy, but I don't know if this is usually done as a finishing touch or not. (I'd ask the developer myself, but I'm not convinced I'd get a straight answer.)

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - ac3r - 06-15-2021

It doesn't appear to me they're painting the tower at all, but who knows. I never heard of anything about it being painted white. It looks white in the original renderings, but that could just be the rendering...none of the colours are very accurate in it.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - 519 - 06-15-2021

(06-15-2021, 09:25 AM)ac3r Wrote: It doesn't appear to me they're painting the tower at all, but who knows. I never heard of anything about it being painted white. It looks white in the original renderings, but that could just be the rendering...none of the colours are very accurate in it.

I wasn't expecting it for Tower 2  at One Hundred / Garment St. but Momentum ended up painting it to match Tower 1.  It was tricky because their precast panels were already painted in dark grey but hindsight suggests that was likely just a coloured primer.  Tower 3 doesn't doesn't seem to have any primer/paint on their precast but I bet it will be painted to match the rest of the complex. 

In short, Momentum (with Zehr as the actual builder) has a history of painting their concrete panels after they've been installed. Also the painting started just prior to occupancy.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - cherrypark - 06-15-2021

(06-15-2021, 09:37 AM)519 Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 09:25 AM)ac3r Wrote: It doesn't appear to me they're painting the tower at all, but who knows. I never heard of anything about it being painted white. It looks white in the original renderings, but that could just be the rendering...none of the colours are very accurate in it.

I wasn't expecting it for Tower 2  at One Hundred / Garment St. but Momentum ended up painting it to match Tower 1.  It was tricky because their precast panels were already painted in dark grey but hindsight suggests that was likely just a coloured primer.  Tower 3 doesn't doesn't seem to have any primer/paint on their precast but I bet it will be painted to match the rest of the complex. 

In short, Momentum (with Zehr as the actual builder) has a history of painting their concrete panels after they've been installed. Also the painting started just prior to occupancy.

Different builder but also was predicating that on Circa 1877. It was the very last thing to be done it seemed and in theory doesn't really affect occupancy.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Lebronj23 - 06-17-2021

Today

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Rainrider22 - 06-18-2021

I love how you captured small piece of the Utility building. It shows a bit of yin and yang...

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 07-19-2021

Finally getting a look at the podium cladding. Looks like metal, which I'm happy to see, rather than more ugly spandrel like the Glove Box building. Will still look black even when in direct sun.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - ac3r - 07-19-2021

Nice! That should look pretty good with the glass they've chosen.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 07-19-2021

(07-19-2021, 08:02 PM)ac3r Wrote: Nice! That should look pretty good with the glass they've chosen.

I like the sizes of the panels they are using: they are not excessively large, not all identical, so you get some interest and not just a giant black wall.