Waterloo Region Connected
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete (/showthread.php?tid=710)

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Acitta - 11-05-2020

They have started the 30th floor.    

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - ac3r - 11-05-2020

Kinda surreal to finally see a building this tall in Waterloo Region. I'm glad there are quite a few more 30+ floor buildings being built or are proposed, it'll really change this city.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - westwardloo - 11-05-2020

(11-05-2020, 04:36 PM)ac3r Wrote: Kinda surreal to finally see a building this tall in Waterloo Region. I'm glad there are quite a few more 30+ floor buildings being built or are proposed, it'll really change this city.
agreed! I think downtown is going to have a different feel to it once residence move into this, DTK and city centre.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - dtkvictim - 11-16-2020

Not much visual change in the last 10 days. I think maybe just a couple floors of windows.

[Image: bpQgMPO.jpg]

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - ZEBuilder - 11-16-2020

(11-16-2020, 08:31 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Not much visual change in the last 10 days. I think maybe just a couple floors of windows.
they have the 30th floor almost finished since they're doing the floor slab for the 31st floor which is the last floor so they've added a floor.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - ac3r - 11-17-2020

I really like the dark glass on this building. It makes it look really good.

The location of the building is also unique and it's really emphasized now that it's nearing completion. It sits centered in between the old Public Utilities Building - which is now 87 years old - and two impressive 20th century modernist structures - the old post office and old King Centre. In a sense it really shows you the progress of urbanization in Waterloo Region by having a fairly neomodernist looking highrise amongst these old.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 08:56 PM)ac3r Wrote: I really like the dark glass on this building. It makes it look really good.

The location of the building is also unique and it's really emphasized now that it's nearing completion. It sits centered in between the old Public Utilities Building - which is now 87 years old - and two impressive 20th century modernist structures - the old post office and old King Centre. In a sense it really shows you the progress of urbanization in Waterloo Region by having a fairly neomodernist looking highrise amongst these old.
I wonder whether the former post office will survive the eventual redevelopment of the site?

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 11-17-2020

(11-16-2020, 08:31 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Not much visual change in the last 10 days. I think maybe just a couple floors of windows.

Well, we can fix that. Big Grin

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 11-17-2020

This one was only a few days earlier ...

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - westwardloo - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 10:14 PM)tomh009 Wrote: This one was only a few days earlier ...
Beautiful picture! Imagine what that picture will look like if/ when they redevelop a couple towers on the Manulife parking lot and the transit terminal!

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - ac3r - 11-18-2020

(11-17-2020, 09:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 08:56 PM)ac3r Wrote: I really like the dark glass on this building. It makes it look really good.

I wonder whether the former post office will survive the eventual redevelopment of the site?

I'm not 100% certain, but I think 44 Gaukel is a heritage building? I could be wrong, though.

I would hope it survives - it's a rather nice building. It's currently used as an arts meets technology hub (kind of like a WR version of InterAccess) so I would hate to lose that here. They do everything from run art exhibitions, workshops, educational talks and even rent out event space or entire art studio spaces - all of which is in dire need here...the art scene in Waterloo Region is already so small.

I wouldn't mind if they developed the parking lot, though, because it's rarely used and there are already 3 more half a block away.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 11-18-2020

(11-18-2020, 02:37 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 09:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I wonder whether the former post office will survive the eventual redevelopment of the site?

I'm not 100% certain, but I think 44 Gaukel is a heritage building? I could be wrong, though.

I would hope it survives - it's a rather nice building. It's currently used as an arts meets technology hub (kind of like a WR version of InterAccess) so I would hate to lose that here. They do everything from run art exhibitions, workshops, educational talks and even rent out event space or entire art studio spaces - all of which is in dire need here...the art scene in Waterloo Region is already so small.

I wouldn't mind if they developed the parking lot, though, because it's rarely used and there are already 3 more half a block away.
I know that it’s by a local architect (Rieder), but I don’t know if it has a heritage designation.  It should.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - ac3r - 11-18-2020

I looked it up, but I don't see it listed in the pdf I found. That's a shame. Modernism (and post-modernism) tends to get shunned these days and there are few of these buildings listed as heritage properties. Kitchener has quite a few nice ones and there is a good book from KW Art Gallery that documents some of the unique buildings here, but there are a lot that are missing.

CBC had a good article about a neighbourhood in Toronto that is being redeveloped, where there is a struggle between developers/property owners and architects/heritage people to preserve some of the buildings there: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/don-mills-and-eglinton-getting-new-neighbourhood-but-preserving-heritage-buildings-an-issue-1.5423321

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Acitta - 12-03-2020

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 12-03-2020

Has anyone seen the parking garage screen at night with the garage lights on? I’m wondering if the effect is any better at night?