Waterloo Region Connected
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete (/showthread.php?tid=710)

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 10-07-2020

I wonder how the building will end up in terms of % owner-occupied vs rentals?

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Spokes - 10-08-2020

Thanks for those updated dates Taylor. Much appreciated

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Momo26 - 10-08-2020

Yep if I was looking to live there especially in a 2 bdrm unit then the McGillivray floors make more sense. It sux that every floor up is 1k more (28th floor vs 2nd - or 5th for tower for same floor plan) being 23ish-k more, identical otherwise.

I wonder if the 10 month delay apply to most or all other high rise projects in DTK...

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 10-09-2020

(10-08-2020, 09:28 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Yep if I was looking to live there especially in a 2 bdrm unit then the McGillivray floors make more sense. It sux that every floor up is 1k more (28th floor vs 2nd - or 5th for tower for same floor plan) being 23ish-k more, identical otherwise.

A floor premium is pretty typical for condo buildings, though. Lower floors will always be a better value.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - ac3r - 10-14-2020

October 13th:

[Image: ZfxyU55.jpg]

[Image: 1omNfvS.jpg]

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Bjays93 - 10-14-2020

Slight nitpick, but I wish there weren't horizontal mullions. I do really like that most if not all the balconies are inset though. Interested to see what they do for balcony glass, but this looks like a hit to me.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - dtkvictim - 10-14-2020

(10-14-2020, 09:01 AM)Bjays93 Wrote: Slight nitpick, but I wish there weren't horizontal mullions. I do really like that most if not all the balconies are inset though. Interested to see what they do for balcony glass, but this looks like a hit to me.

That's a new word for me, but I think I like them here. But I also despise "all glass" towers. I much prefer excessive ornamentation over the minimalism of modern facades, so while these mullions probably don't meet the definition, they still give my eyes something more interesting to look at.

(10-14-2020, 12:56 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 09:01 AM)Bjays93 Wrote: Slight nitpick, but I wish there weren't horizontal mullions. I do really like that most if not all the balconies are inset though. Interested to see what they do for balcony glass, but this looks like a hit to me.

That's a new word for me, but I think I like them here. But I also despise "all glass" towers. I much prefer excessive ornamentation over the minimalism of modern facades, so while these mullions probably don't meet the definition, they still give my eyes something more interesting to look at.
I dont think it needs to be all glass, the glass would still be divided per floor, the horizontal mullions are the horizontal bracings that run through the midpoint of each window on each floor. I wish each floor window had a more solid look, but it wouldn't have to look like a curtain wall

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - westwardloo - 10-14-2020

I would hazard a guess that the horizontal mullion in the glass has little to do with design and a lot more to do with budget. I assume there is a premium cost associated with 7ft+ piece of glass. Compared to 2 - 3.5ft pieces of glass.  But I am not an expert when it comes to curtain wall systems.

Building is looking great though! wish this was going to be the regions tallest for an extended period of time.

Does anyone know if they are painting the concrete panels?

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 10-14-2020

(10-14-2020, 05:51 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Does anyone know if they are painting the concrete panels?

In the renders the east/west corners (compass directions) have black concrete panels. I don't know if the design has changed, of if it's waiting for paint.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 10-14-2020

What a shame. I was thinking that the panels were faux stone.

(10-14-2020, 05:51 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I would hazard a guess that the horizontal mullion in the glass has little to do with design and a lot more to do with budget. I assume there is a premium cost associated with 7ft+ piece of glass. Compared to 2 - 3.5ft pieces of glass.  But I am not an expert when it comes to curtain wall systems.
It is absolutely a price thing. Higher end more expensive buildings are more likely to utilize larger glass pieces. There is also a maneuverability aspect as well, windows with horizontal mullions can often be opened where as solid windows more often cant. 

Like I said though, overall it's a nitpick and I really like what were getting here

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 10-17-2020

Frame for the artwork was going up yesterday. On the laneway side, rather than the Charles St side as The Record had reported.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Momo26 - 10-17-2020

So it's not gonna cover the garage metal grid thing afterall. Laneway art has become a bit of a thing nowadays so this is okay. It'll get seen or become a thing people seek out.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - dtkvictim - 10-17-2020

I just had a look at the Record article again. It says 7 pieces will hang facing Halls Lane, and 4 elsewhere. The 4 paragraphs immediately following that list 4 locations that are not in Halls lane, including the Heron on the south side of this building. So maybe this building is getting 2 pieces?

That said, the shape of the frame in your photo certainly could be for the Heron, and the record could just be wrong.