Waterloo Region Connected
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete (/showthread.php?tid=710)

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 08-10-2020

(08-10-2020, 02:18 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 01:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Well, I never ...! I would not be keen to be part of that type of scheme. Even the locker master key theft can be mitigated if the locker is only accessible using the condo's or apartment building's own access control system.

I would have assumed that whatever key the postal worker uses to access the boxes would let them in all the way from the street. They’re not going to carry a ring of keys for their entire route; and if they did, it might as well give them access to the boxes; and also the ring would in effect be a(n unwieldy) master key.

That being said, I hope we’re talking about a key that opens something like all the boxes on a route. If it opens every box in the city or province, then somebody at Canada Post doesn’t know how to do security. And it can’t be a country-wide key because no one is that stupid.
No, in the Ottawa story, it was just an unspecified number of Centretown condo towers.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - jeffster - 08-10-2020

(08-10-2020, 10:40 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: According to this regularly updated CBC article, the CDC started advocating for masks on April 3, and Dr. Tam on April 6:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/masks-coronavirus-1.5507186

Quote:On April 3, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention began to recommend wearing cloth face coverings in public places where other physical distancing measures are hard to maintain (such as grocery stores and pharmacies), especially in areas with community-based transmission.

On April 6,  Tam also suggested using non-medical masks when out grocery shopping or at a pharmacy.

There was an article posted on the 6th about Tam's change in recommendation, along with some history of what she said when.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/non-medical-masks-covid-19-spread-1.5523321

I think it's difficult for us to remember now but in March we didn't know how this virus transmitted and a lot of public health guidance was based on the transmission characteristics of SARS and MERS. That second article includes the line:

Quote:"We are very rapidly trying to integrate that later science," she said of the new studies that suggest people who have yet to develop symptoms can still have high viral loads that can be transmitted.

We know a lot more about this virus than we did four months ago.

Recommending and mandating are two different things though. Not sure if I had mentioned it here, but I had my mom wearing N95's in early March before all hell broke loose. Just my PPE training kicking in though. That said, the N95's do actually protect the wearer.

When this whole thing first came out, I initially thought it was being blown out of proportion, but within a few days of that wrong thinking, I knew it was really bad. I am glad that Canadians are generally smart, and have listened when they needed to. It's why we don't have the dire numbers like the UK and US.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - jeffster - 08-10-2020

(08-09-2020, 08:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I think your fee estimate is a bit on the high side. If you assume an average unit size of 900 sq ft and initial condo fees of $0.42 (ex security) which is fairly typical, you get about $4500 per unit per year and $1.35M for the condo corporation budget.

You would outsource the security (not many condo corporations want actual employees) so I'd guess you'd pay around $25/hour all in. That's $220K, or a 16% bump on the condo fees. And this is why our building does not have 24/7 on-site security (we're somewhat smaller, too).

Do you know what the condo fees are at the newer developments that are finished?

My thinking is this is one condo that might need security.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 08-10-2020

(08-10-2020, 07:54 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 08:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I think your fee estimate is a bit on the high side. If you assume an average unit size of 900 sq ft and initial condo fees of $0.42 (ex security) which is fairly typical, you get about $4500 per unit per year and $1.35M for the condo corporation budget.

You would outsource the security (not many condo corporations want actual employees) so I'd guess you'd pay around $25/hour all in. That's $220K, or a 16% bump on the condo fees. And this is why our building does not have 24/7 on-site security (we're somewhat smaller, too).

Do you know what the condo fees are at the newer developments that are finished?

Most of them are advertising condo fees in the $0.40-0.45 range, where there is no concierge or on-site security. Mind you, most of those will go up once they do their first reserve fund studies ...

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 08-10-2020

(08-10-2020, 09:33 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 07:54 PM)jeffster Wrote: Do you know what the condo fees are at the newer developments that are finished?

Most of them are advertising condo fees in the $0.40-0.45 range, where there is no concierge or on-site security. Mind you, most of those will go up once they do their first reserve fund studies ...
Almost certain to go up by about 20% - 25% in the first couple of years, no?

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 08-10-2020

(08-10-2020, 09:43 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 09:33 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Most of them are advertising condo fees in the $0.40-0.45 range, where there is no concierge or on-site security. Mind you, most of those will go up once they do their first reserve fund studies ...

Almost certain to go up by about 20% - 25% in the first couple of years, no?

I would expect so, yes. Few condo developers do a thorough analysis of reserve costs.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Momo26 - 08-11-2020

Will have to see. Most condos being built will start at .43 and go from there. A realtor told me they're starting higher after seeing so many past condos not collecting enough and then we see these insane fees like $800 for a 700sq foot unit (older buildings).

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 08-11-2020

Charlie West is starting at $0.45/ft/month, which includes a total of $89k/year for concierge services. Doesn't seem like enough for 24/7 coverage, though I believe lots of the concierge services have additional fees, so maybe the company is expecting revenue other than the main contract.

In addition to the essentials, the fees include water (including hot water), central heating/cooling, and internet for every unit. So I expect the fees will go up, but it seems like reasonable value for money (that's a lot of the essential utility costs covered).

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - jeffster - 08-11-2020

(08-11-2020, 07:11 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Charlie West is starting at $0.45/ft/month, which includes a total of $89k/year for concierge services. Doesn't seem like enough for 24/7 coverage, though I believe lots of the concierge services have additional fees, so maybe the company is expecting revenue other than the main contract.

In addition to the essentials, the fees include water (including hot water), central heating/cooling, and internet for every unit. So I expect the fees will go up, but it seems like reasonable value for money (that's a lot of the essential utility costs covered).

If it includes water/heat/ac and the Internetz, that's a great deal. I imagine when it comes to the webz, Rogers or Bell may have provided a really good deal. An offer they couldn't refuse. So even if it's 1000SF, which I assume they include the patio, $450 provides you all that. As it stands, I probably average close to $400 for all that per month in my semi. Mind you, we have 4 peeps here. Water is the killer. I wonder if they have some sort of reclamation of certain types of water to minimize water costs. Toilet water, for example, doesn't need to be potable. Neither does laundry water.

I mean, something like that, it might give a lot of people something to think about. My friend lives in a condo apartment and pays close to $500 for fees. Only includes water. He has electric heating. Probably doesn't help that it's a low rise (3 floors).

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 08-11-2020

(08-11-2020, 07:42 PM)jeffster Wrote: If it includes water/heat/ac and the Internetz, that's a great deal. I imagine when it comes to the webz, Rogers or Bell may have provided a really good deal. An offer they couldn't refuse. So even if it's 1000SF, which I assume they include the patio, $450 provides you all that. 

The condo fee calculation is only based on interior square footage, not balcony. I definitely would have picked a layout with a smaller balcony if it counted.

The proposed budget is $89k/year for internet, which with 300 units is $24.72/month/unit. That's for 250Mb/s service from Rogers, so it's better than you can negotiate at retail but it's not totally out of line (I've heard of people getting the 250Mb/s plan for $35/month retail, and I currently pay $50/month to Rogers for 1000Mb/s).

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 08-11-2020

(08-11-2020, 06:35 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Will have to see. Most condos being built will start at .43 and go from there. A realtor told me they're starting higher after seeing so many past condos not collecting enough and then we see these insane fees like $800 for a 700sq foot unit (older buildings).

Condo fees go up.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 08-11-2020

(08-11-2020, 07:11 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Charlie West is starting at $0.45/ft/month, which includes a total of $89k/year for concierge services. Doesn't seem like enough for 24/7 coverage, though I believe lots of the concierge services have additional fees, so maybe the company is expecting revenue other than the main contract.

Definitely not 24/7 at that cost.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Momo26 - 08-11-2020

I know condo fees go up...that's the point I was making.

Re: including all that + a gym on site (attribute anywhere from $10/month up to $75 for your typical non bootcamp style gym membership (potentially if there are 2 of you), it's pretty darn good.

Again, it'll go up.

Death, taxes and rising condo fees.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 08-11-2020

(08-11-2020, 08:06 PM)taylortbb Wrote: The proposed budget is $89k/year for internet, which with 300 units is $24.72/month/unit. That's for 250Mb/s service from Rogers, so it's better than you can negotiate at retail but it's not totally out of line (I've heard of people getting the 250Mb/s plan for $35/month retail, and I currently pay $50/month to Rogers for 1000Mb/s).

Rogers and Bell are getting aggressive in signing up full buildings for Internet, and it makes sense as they expect to sell a lot of added services once they have the connection to your unit: it'll be much easier for you to sign up for Rogers TV etc rather than Bell.

Our building offers Cloud Wifi but it's owner option since it was not from Day One. And I personally only pay for symmetrical 100 Mb/s as I don't really see much difference beyond that. And the Wifi speeds are far lower in a condo building anyway, LTE beats Wifi nine times out of ten.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - jeffster - 08-11-2020

(08-11-2020, 09:00 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 06:35 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Will have to see. Most condos being built will start at .43 and go from there. A realtor told me they're starting higher after seeing so many past condos not collecting enough and then we see these insane fees like $800 for a 700sq foot unit (older buildings).

Condo fees go up.

Though there are advantages to have a taller building vs a wider building. With my buddy, he's condo has 3 floors. Something like 14 units per floor. Half the units are 3 bedrooms, half are 2. Now the roof needs replacing, and I think he said the estimate is $180,000, which works out to over $4,000 per unit. Of course, they have a reserve so that's not the issue. The issue is maintaining the reserve.

Now in a 31 floor building like Charlie West, with less floor space per floor, replacing the roof might still cost the same, if not more, due to the height, but even if it was $500,000, it's still less that $2G per unit.

What you got to watch out for is management fees. That can be a killer