Waterloo Region Connected
ION Stage 3 Speculation - Facts, Theories, Speculation, Rumors! - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: ION Stage 3 Speculation - Facts, Theories, Speculation, Rumors! (/showthread.php?tid=1180)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: ION Stage 3 Speculation - Facts, Theories, Speculation, Rumors! - jeffster - 06-10-2018

(06-07-2018, 09:09 PM)Canard Wrote: No kidding! $34 for the first trip for me this year... I’d forgotten it was so ridiculous, I almost never look at the bill. I took the regular way last time (401/400) and it’s not so bad.... but 407 is sooo much nicer.

Doesn't anyone own a transponder? Pays for itself in like 5 or 6 trips?

My last trip (went to a Jays game).

Quote:Trip Date Entry-Exit Distance Cost per KM Toll Charges
03/29/2018 9:04 PM Hwy427-Hwy401 24.490 km $0.2338$5.73
Total 407 ETR 24.4 km $5.73
Total for all trips: 24.4 km $5.73

It's not bad if you lease the transponder...I don't do a lot of trips, but it certainly pays for itself pretty fast.

RE: ION Stage 3 Speculation - Facts, Theories, Speculation, Rumors! - Canard - 06-10-2018

Yes I have a Transponder. It’s like 10 years old though and stopped working so the last few trips were with the addition of a video toll charge, and now I have a new one. Still it would be like $28 with it instead of the $34 without it. My point still stands. The 401 to 427 is not very far, it’s like 1/3 of the way to 400. So your $5 becomes $15 which x2 is $30.

It also depends on the time of day. If I go to Wonderland on a weeknight after work the cost is astronomical. Weekends it’s not as bad.

This is ridiculously off topic now though...

For Phase 2 I wonder if they would add a mini-MSF somewhere. A lot of systems have that; a second yard or shop that has just the primary functions allocated to it, just to take some pressure off the original MSF.

RE: ION Stage 3 Speculation - Facts, Theories, Speculation, Rumors! - jeffster - 06-10-2018

(06-10-2018, 03:41 PM)Canard Wrote: Yes I have a Transponder. It’s like 10 years old though and stopped working so the last few trips were with the addition of a video toll charge, and now I have a new one. Still it would be like $28 with it instead of the $34 without it. My point still stands. The 401 to 427 is not very far, it’s like 1/3 of the way to 400. So your $5 becomes $15 which x2 is $30.

It also depends on the time of day. If I go to Wonderland on a weeknight after work the cost is astronomical. Weekends it’s not as bad.

This is ridiculously off topic now though...

For Phase 2 I wonder if they would add a mini-MSF somewhere. A lot of systems have that; a second yard or shop that has just the primary functions allocated to it, just to take some pressure off the original MSF.

I wonder if they do this, if one could be just off highway 8 before the 401. It's a good central location, especially if a train has to be removed somewhere in Cambridge or south Kitchener.

RE: ION Stage 3 Speculation - Facts, Theories, Speculation, Rumors! - Markster - 06-11-2018

(06-10-2018, 09:04 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-10-2018, 03:41 PM)Canard Wrote: For Phase 2 I wonder if they would add a mini-MSF somewhere. A lot of systems have that; a second yard or shop that has just the primary functions allocated to it, just to take some pressure off the original MSF.

I wonder if they do this, if one could be just off highway 8 before the 401.  It's a good central location, especially if a train has to be removed somewhere in Cambridge or south Kitchener.

My bet would be on an industrial property north of Eagle St. There are some under-used properties that abut the proposed route, and they won't require a level crossing for LRV access.

Next to highway 8 has the ongoing concern of the future ramps to highway 8. It might be a wrangle with the MTO to carve out a siding in that area. Though, I don't know how much of that area is owned by the MTO. The south side of King St is a no-go, thanks to the palatial mansions next door. Also, the route is presumably running in-median, and would have to cross a lane of traffic to access the yard.

RE: ION Stage 3 Speculation - Facts, Theories, Speculation, Rumors! - Pheidippides - 06-11-2018

(06-10-2018, 03:41 PM)Canard Wrote: For Phase 2 I wonder if they would add a mini-MSF somewhere. A lot of systems have that; a second yard or shop that has just the primary functions allocated to it, just to take some pressure off the original MSF.

Yes, another facility is planned.

Reference #1:
Determine location of maintenance and storage facility”

Reference #2:
Conduct a site selection study for LRT facilities, including Maintenance Facility and transformer stations”