Waterloo Region Connected
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete (/showthread.php?tid=710)

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Bjays93 - 04-29-2020

(04-28-2020, 08:03 PM)Square Wrote: Yes, thank you.  I always thought this site would be done before Duke Tower, now I'm not so sure, lol
I think this will still top out before Duke Tower (after all it is 8 stories shorter) however, I do agree that it may never hold the title of tallest building in the city.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 05-05-2020

The cladding is starting to go on for the podium parking garage. Looking forward to seeing the finish here.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Momo26 - 05-06-2020

She's coming together nice.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - WLU - 05-07-2020

(05-05-2020, 08:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The cladding is starting to go on for the podium parking garage. Looking forward to seeing the finish here.

I noticed that the parking garage cladding is different than what was shown on their renderings.  Their renderings show a type of long vertical slat, open I presume to allow for ventilation of the parking garage.  Looks as if they've settled on a flatter surface.  This surface though, does have many perforations which are different in size and scattered throughout to form a sort of random pattern.  Looks ok.
  Something else that caught my eye is the hinged, out-swing exterior doors to the balconies rather than common sliding doors.  Maybe this is a new trend.  We'll see.  Regardless, as others have said, I believe this is going to be a great looking building once completed.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 05-07-2020

(05-07-2020, 08:23 PM)WLU Wrote:
(05-05-2020, 08:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The cladding is starting to go on for the podium parking garage. Looking forward to seeing the finish here.

I noticed that the parking garage cladding is different than what was shown on their renderings.  Their renderings show a type of long vertical slat, open I presume to allow for ventilation of the parking garage.  Looks as if they've settled on a flatter surface.  This surface though, does have many perforations which are different in size and scattered throughout to form a sort of random pattern.  Looks ok.

I hope that’s not the case - that exterior element was the most interesting aspect of the project.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - ZEBuilder - 05-07-2020

[quote pid='79732' dateline='1588898955']
(05-07-2020, 08:23 PM)WLU Wrote:  I noticed that the parking garage cladding is different than what was shown on their renderings.  Their renderings show a type of long vertical slat, open I presume to allow for ventilation of the parking garage.  Looks as if they've settled on a flatter surface.  This surface though, does have many perforations which are different in size and scattered throughout to form a sort of random pattern.  Looks ok.

[/quote]
The perforations could be for the vertical black pieces of cladding that we're going to go on that part of the podium. Since they were different sizes that would explain why the perforations are of different sizes

(05-07-2020, 08:58 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: [quote pid='79732' dateline='1588898955']
(05-07-2020, 08:23 PM)WLU Wrote:  I noticed that the parking garage cladding is different than what was shown on their renderings.  Their renderings show a type of long vertical slat, open I presume to allow for ventilation of the parking garage.  Looks as if they've settled on a flatter surface.  This surface though, does have many perforations which are different in size and scattered throughout to form a sort of random pattern.  Looks ok.
The perforations could be for the vertical black pieces of cladding that we're going to go on that part of the podium. Since they were different sizes that would explain why the perforations are of different sizes
[/quote]

You may be right but it looked as if these perforations were intended to be somewhat decorative and not for fastening another product.  We'll see.

(05-07-2020, 08:49 PM)panamaniac Wrote:

I hope that’s not the case - that exterior element was the most interesting aspect of the project.

Agreed.  That was a pretty cool feature.  Myself, I'm not a fan of above grade or podium parking but understand its necessity.  Aesthetically, the proposed exterior looked a little nicer than what they're using right now.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 05-07-2020

(05-07-2020, 08:23 PM)WLU Wrote: Something else that caught my eye is the hinged, out-swing exterior doors to the balconies rather than common sliding doors.  Maybe this is a new trend.  We'll see.  Regardless, as others have said, I believe this is going to be a great looking building once completed.

Most of the units in our building have swing-out doors to the balconies. And it's more than five years old. Smile

(05-07-2020, 09:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 08:23 PM)WLU Wrote: Something else that caught my eye is the hinged, out-swing exterior doors to the balconies rather than common sliding doors.  Maybe this is a new trend.  We'll see.  Regardless, as others have said, I believe this is going to be a great looking building once completed.

Most of the units in our building have swing-out doors to the balconies. And it's more than five years old. Smile

Makes sense when you think about it.  That type of door at high elevations likely performs better in terms of wind load and air infiltration than a sliding door wood.  Thanks Tom!

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 05-08-2020

(05-07-2020, 08:58 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:

Drove past today, I think the perforations are pretty clearly decorative. It looks something like https://archello.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/images/2017/06/30/IMGP2444.1507184650.8854.jpg . I think at night with the parking garage lighting it up from behind it'll probably be pretty cool, but it's definitely quite different from what was shown in the render.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 05-08-2020

Are those panels on Charlie West metal or concrete?

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 05-08-2020

(05-08-2020, 03:28 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Are those panels on Charlie West metal or concrete?

They appeared to be metal from the quick glance I got, but I can't be sure.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 05-14-2020

A late-afternoon view from my (deserted) office.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Bjays93 - 05-14-2020

Has any more cladding gone up along Charles?