Waterloo Region Connected
The COVID-19 pandemic - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Connected Café (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: General and Off-Topic Discussion (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: The COVID-19 pandemic (/showthread.php?tid=1463)

RE: Covid-19 -- Pandemic - panamaniac - 05-24-2020

(05-24-2020, 03:14 PM)jamincan Wrote: Everyone says he's had a remarkable good run, but what exactly has he done well besides not being a utter disaster like Trump? I'd say he hasn't made things worse, but I definitely feel his leadership has been tepid and lukewarm and leaving people confused and unsure of what to do.
You forget how low the bar was set.  Not screwing up was vastly more than enough to exceed expectations.  That said, there were also no abrupt policy reversals, and his messaging (again taking into account his limitations) has mostly been on-point and empathetic.  He has been good about deferring to his ministers and to the experts.  Up until today's message about going out to get tested, I can't think of an example where he left people confused (although I sometimes forget how easily people can be cofused!).

RE: Covid-19 -- Pandemic - ijmorlan - 05-24-2020

(05-24-2020, 03:14 PM)jamincan Wrote: Everyone says he's had a remarkable good run, but what exactly has he done well besides not being a utter disaster like Trump? I'd say he hasn't made things worse, but I definitely feel his leadership has been tepid and lukewarm and leaving people confused and unsure of what to do.

It’s interesting. Based on his previous behaviour, I pretty much lumped him in with Trump; but unlike Trump he seems to be able to turn off the Ford when it’s really serious.

Of course, things like public transit investment are serious too, so they deserve a proper response, not a Ford response, but still I feel fortunate to live in Canada where even the crazy people seem to have a reserve of seriousness they can draw on when it’s really crucial.

I’m somewhat worried that people will see his relatively sane response to the current crisis and re-elect him in 2022.

RE: Covid-19 -- Pandemic - panamaniac - 05-24-2020

(05-24-2020, 03:32 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:

It’s interesting. Based on his previous behaviour, I pretty much lumped him in with Trump; but unlike Trump he seems to be able to turn off the Ford when it’s really serious.

Of course, things like public transit investment are serious too, so they deserve a proper response, not a Ford response, but still I feel fortunate to live in Canada where even the crazy people seem to have a reserve of seriousness they can draw on when it’s really crucial.

I’m somewhat worried that people will see his relatively sane response to the current crisis and re-elect him in 2022.

Far too soon to go there, imo.

RE: Covid-19 -- Pandemic - tomh009 - 05-24-2020

Waterloo Region reported eight new cases yesterday and four today.; over the past week that's 67 new cases, or 2.3% of the Ontario new case total (we're at 4.2% of the total Ontario cases since day one). The total number of cases is pretty close to the provincial average but the recent new case numbers are more encouraging locally.

Ontario reported 460 new cases, with the weekly average now up to 407. 331 recoveries and 25 deaths means an increase of 104 active cases for the day and 538 more for the week. 11,383 tests for a 3.9% positivity rate. The new cases are 1.8% of the total but 11.6% of the number of active cases.

The positives are still to be found in the hospital population (878, -34) and the ICU population (148, +1).

RE: Covid-19 -- Pandemic - tomh009 - 05-24-2020

(05-22-2020, 03:40 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Thanks for the link!  It's unfortunate they don't report historical data Sad.

A current copy of my tracking data is attached.

.xlsx   Ontario COVID-19 data 2020-05-24.xlsx (Size: 19.43 KB / Downloads: 72)

RE: Covid-19 -- Pandemic - danbrotherston - 05-24-2020

For me, the biggest things he has done is to follow public health's scientifically based guidance, and not flinch in the face of the false belief you can save the economy by killing people.

He hasn't necessarily been the best leader, but I think he's done all right. He's been a bit naive in believing that people and especially 'corporations' won't just do the 'right thing' when asked (where the 'right thing' is what's best for the community), but he seems to genuinely want it to happen...for example, he seemed genuinely surprised and angry that landlords were doing the obvious selfish thing.

I mean, I think that's just a feature of true naive conservatism (the market will regulate itself kind of belief).

RE: Covid-19 -- Pandemic - ijmorlan - 05-24-2020

(05-24-2020, 05:13 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: For me, the biggest things he has done is to follow public health's scientifically based guidance, and not flinch in the face of the false belief you can save the economy by killing people.

Very true. There is no sense that he’s trying to get some political advantage by pretending there is no crisis. And I remember him speaking very negatively of some people who were flouting, in a very foolish way, the restrictions, calling them “yahoos”. Very different approach from the President, who is egging on the equivalent people south of the border.

RE: Covid-19 -- Pandemic - jeffster - 05-24-2020

(05-24-2020, 03:34 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 03:32 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: It’s interesting. Based on his previous behaviour, I pretty much lumped him in with Trump; but unlike Trump he seems to be able to turn off the Ford when it’s really serious.

Far too soon to go there, imo.

I think Ford has done surprisingly well under pressure, and hasn't been anything close to resembling Trump. Or Scheer, for that matter. This whole thing seems to have made him grow a little. Even helping those on ODSP, as the Feds offered nothing. (This would be an extra $100/month for four months for singles or $200 for month for four months if family)

Doesn't mean he'd be re-elected. Though if he continues the way he has done, being that he is willing to learn on the job, I think he could win a second term, and perhaps actually deserves one.

I also believe at some point, things like ODSP and OW might be a thing of the past, as I believe the Feds might institute basic income.

RE: Covid-19 -- Pandemic - plam - 05-25-2020

(05-24-2020, 11:42 PM)jeffster Wrote: Doesn't mean he'd be re-elected. Though if he continues the way he has done, being that he is willing to learn on the job, I think he could win a second term, and perhaps actually deserves one.

Definitely far too soon for the Ontario election. Heck there is a NZ election in September and things might change significantly between now and then. (But if it was today Jacinda Ardern would win in a landslide; there is also a proportional component to the NZ elections).

RE: Covid-19 -- Pandemic - ac3r - 05-25-2020

(05-24-2020, 02:17 PM)MidTowner Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 11:57 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Not likely (imo).  From what I've seen, they have been first rate at social distancing.  Far better than supermarkets, in fact.

It's not too concerning to me how customers act, though- I figure that they are there for a few minutes, constantly moving, and many of them could reasonably be expected to barely be ever leaving their homes otherwise. But the employees are there day in, day out for hours on end, interacting with dozens or hundreds of people. They have presumably been trained to do their jobs a certain way, but they seem content to proceed the "wrong way" down an aisle whether a customer could give them space or not.

I think it can be both customers and staff. I've only made 2 trips to Home Depot since they've opened, and each time when I was there I tried to observe how well people were practicing safety. Some people were following the arrows, which is great, but many were not. There were also quite a number of people asking staff members questions, getting far too close to the staff and vice versa (many staff members didn't think to step back). A few had masks, but not the majority. In fact, I noticed more customers wearing them than staff members. I believe that for stores to be allowed to reopen, they should have made masks mandatory for staff and for anyone entering (a few stores are doing this) to shop.

When leaving, I witnessed 3 guys (2 of which had masks, but pulled down their chin) who clearly knew each other. They all got real close, shook each others hands and stood there chatting away fairly close to each other.

RE: Covid-19 -- Pandemic - ijmorlan - 05-25-2020

(05-25-2020, 08:54 AM)ac3r Wrote: When leaving, I witnessed 3 guys (2 of which had masks, but pulled down their chin) who clearly knew each other. They all got real close, shook each others hands and stood there chatting away fairly close to each other.

Everybody knows you can’t get it from your friends! Tongue

RE: Covid-19 -- Pandemic - kps - 05-25-2020

(05-25-2020, 09:17 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Everybody knows you can’t get it from your friends!  Tongue

Obligatory Lehrer

RE: Covid-19 -- Pandemic - tomh009 - 05-25-2020

Waterloo Region reported three new cases today, 0.3% of the total cases to date and 1.3% of the current active caseload. 227 cases now active in the region, down 27, and down 80 in the past seven days.

Ontario reported 404 new cases. 221 recoveries and 29 deaths means an increase of 154 active cases for the day and 689 more for the week. Only 8,170 tests on a weekend day for a 4.9% positivity rate. The new cases are 1.6% of the total but 9.8% of the number of active cases. Death rate is now back down to 9.6%.

The hospital population (859, -19) and the ICU population (148, +0) still look good, though.

RE: Covid-19 -- Pandemic - jamincan - 05-25-2020

I wonder if the recent upswing is localized or if it's a general trend across the province.

RE: Covid-19 -- Pandemic - tomh009 - 05-25-2020

(05-25-2020, 01:44 PM)jamincan Wrote: I wonder if the recent upswing is localized or if it's a general trend across the province.

City of Toronto reports show roughly 1000 new cases for the past seven days, about 70% of the provincial total, and an increase of 607 active cases in the past week, over 85% of the 689 provincial total.

I think it's pretty clear where the provincial epicentre is at the moment.