Waterloo Region Connected
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) (/showthread.php?tid=509)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - jeffster - 08-17-2022

(08-16-2022, 08:20 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 08:10 AM)Spokes Wrote: I thought it was approved too.  Guess not.

Over/under on completion date?  2034?

100% over. I would say over/ under completion date of 2045 and I would still pick over.

Hopefully I'll be dead by then (I should be pretty close anyway) so I don't have to hear all the whining about shadows and crap.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - Bytor - 08-19-2022

Development notices have apparently started going out and the NIMBYs on NextDoor have already started trying to rally the troops to complain about too much new traffic and the other usual stuff.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - neonjoe - 08-19-2022

Do you know what makes too much traffic? Saying that new infill development makes too much traffic and pushing more construction in green fields. Longer trips and more reliance on cars will bring more traffic downtown than a sustainable neighbourhood where walking or short trips are involved.
Its the same as how rideshares like uber actually increases congestion. Instead of hopping into your own car and driving to the destination the uber driver has to drive from where they are currently to your pickup and then pick you up for the trip and then drive elsewhere after. One trip potentially becomes three trips.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - panamaniac - 08-19-2022

I suspect that the traffic issues resulting from this development will be addressed by installing traffic lights at Courtland/Sydney (frightening motorists for over 60 years!) and Courtland/Mill.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - ac3r - 08-20-2022

Complaints about traffic piss me off the most because traffic complaints are usually the laziest "we just don't want this here" complaint NIMBYs have. Most of the time they aren't really concerned about the traffic. Concerns about things like building height, shadows, wind tunnels, potential stress on things like public services - schools, fire, EMS, police - and other issues are valid and usually worth entertaining in public debate.

Most of the time in my experience directly interacting with community organizations and citizens on building and infrastructure projects I've been involved in, when they start saying "but the traffic!" they are just saying "don't build this anywhere near us"...especially when it comes to tall buildings. Which is funny because within a month or two most people stop consciously registering the sight of a building. If you live in Paris for years you don't really pay any attention to the tour Eiffel or La Grande Arche de la Défense.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - Lebronj23 - 08-26-2022

(08-16-2022, 09:43 AM)Lebronj23 Wrote: I’m surprised this hasn’t gotten redesigned yet being it’s been in the works for so long, usually projects get a redesign along the way

Guess I spoke too soon. 

Revised plan - 12 buildings ranging 6-38 storeys tall 

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.therecord.com%2Fnews%2Fwaterloo-region%2F2022%2F08%2F26%2Frevised-plan-for-schneiders-site-in-kitchener-includes-12-new-buildings-2400-rental-apartments.html%3Frf

[attachment=8315]

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - ac3r - 08-26-2022

Yeah that got redesigned a while ago, thought it was posted here at some point. Market conditions were likely the cause for the changes.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - ijmorlan - 08-26-2022

I’d like to see Schneider Creek daylighted through there. As far as I can tell it runs straight across the property parallel to Borden in a culvert.

Also would be nice to see street front retail (with a continuous portico, of course) along Courtland.

For bikes, I can’t quite tell from the render what is planned but the opportunity should be taken to widen Courtland to provide high-quality bicycle infrastructure (fully separated bike lanes). No need to expand the motor vehicle lanes.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - Acitta - 08-26-2022

(08-26-2022, 12:54 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I’d like to see Schneider Creek daylighted through there. As far as I can tell it runs straight across the property parallel to Borden in a culvert.

Also would be nice to see street front retail (with a continuous portico, of course) along Courtland.

For bikes, I can’t quite tell from the render what is planned but the opportunity should be taken to widen Courtland to provide high-quality bicycle infrastructure (fully separated bike lanes). No need to expand the motor vehicle lanes.

It is Shoemaker Creek, a tributary of Schneider Creek. Part of it runs under one of the buildings, so they can't uncover it. This was mentioned in the 2019 public meeting.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - Bjays93 - 08-26-2022

(08-26-2022, 09:52 AM)ac3r Wrote: Yeah that got redesigned a while ago, thought it was posted here at some point. Market conditions were likely the cause for the changes.

Was there an overall increase or decrease in units and GFA compared to the last version?

(08-26-2022, 03:05 PM)Bjays93 Wrote:
(08-26-2022, 09:52 AM)ac3r Wrote: Yeah that got redesigned a while ago, thought it was posted here at some point. Market conditions were likely the cause for the changes.

Was there an overall increase or decrease in units and GFA compared to the last version?

400 fewer units in the new design

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - ijmorlan - 08-27-2022

(08-26-2022, 01:47 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(08-26-2022, 12:54 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I’d like to see Schneider Creek daylighted through there. As far as I can tell it runs straight across the property parallel to Borden in a culvert.

It is Shoemaker Creek, a tributary of Schneider Creek. Part of it runs under one of the buildings, so they can't uncover it. This was mentioned in the 2019 public meeting.

Thanks. It still seems like most of it could be uncovered, since the remaining buildings only take up a relatively small area near the corner of the property. Interesting that it is under a building — I can’t see that happening now.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - Spokes - 08-27-2022

I could have sworn it was posted here too. It's a newer render but I don't believe it's NEW

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - KevinL - 08-31-2022

Speaking of the creek, I'd love to see a multi-use trail go through that park space, over the tracks, and along the creekside to Mill. Would give new access to the TWB brewery, and an alternate route to the LRT.