Waterloo Region Connected
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) (/showthread.php?tid=509)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - tomh009 - 12-15-2020

I'm sure it would have been included in the sale, Maple Leaf would not have wanted to keep it. But it's not part of the current development project.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - ac3r - 12-15-2020

Yeah it was used for parking up until 2014. I'm not sure whether it was sold to Auburn or not, but it's not included in the site plan for this development so it's possible it wasn't sold as part of this lot.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - ac3r - 12-23-2020

Is there anyone who regularly passes this site who can update me on how far the demolition is? I'm interested in contacting Auburn or whoever has been handling the demolition as I would like to attempt to acquire some demolition waste (old bricks, concrete, pieces of metal, wood etc) for the creation of some sculptural artworks specifically related to old industrial sites/urban renewal, but I don't know if I'm too late and it's all been crushed up and shipped off by now.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - ijmorlan - 12-23-2020

(12-23-2020, 05:44 PM)ac3r Wrote: Is there anyone who regularly passes this site who can update me on how far the demolition is? I'm interested in contacting Auburn or whoever has been handling the demolition as I would like to attempt to acquire some demolition waste (old bricks, concrete, pieces of metal, wood etc) for the creation of some sculptural artworks specifically related to old industrial sites/urban renewal, but I don't know if I'm too late and it's all been crushed up and shipped off by now.

Based on just casually driving by (although not in the last couple of months) I think most of the waste is still on site … but in the form of huge piles of gravel. But I’m by no means certain so don’t let me dissuade you.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - Acitta - 12-23-2020

(12-23-2020, 05:44 PM)ac3r Wrote: Is there anyone who regularly passes this site who can update me on how far the demolition is? I'm interested in contacting Auburn or whoever has been handling the demolition as I would like to attempt to acquire some demolition waste (old bricks, concrete, pieces of metal, wood etc) for the creation of some sculptural artworks specifically related to old industrial sites/urban renewal, but I don't know if I'm too late and it's all been crushed up and shipped off by now.
I live around the corner on Stirling and sometimes go for a walk around there. There isn't too much in the way of bricks, concrete, etc left, especially after the restart of the demolition. Just about everything has been crushed into dust and gravel, though there may be some small piles of uncrushed concrete left, but probably not for long as they expected to finish the demolition by sometime in January. You probably should have contacted them two years ago.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - Acitta - 03-10-2021

They have filled in the holes from the demolition.    

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - nms - 03-10-2021

To file under now you know:
After seeing this picture, I wanted to make a pun like, "Glad they cleaned up that Metz"
Then I wondered what Metz actually meant. According to Google Translate, "metz" means "French city". Does this mean that we'll end up with a French Quarter?

(I am happy to be corrected)

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - Acitta - 03-10-2021

(03-10-2021, 09:17 PM)nms Wrote: To file under now you know:
After seeing this picture, I wanted to make a pun like, "Glad they cleaned up that Metz"
Then I wondered what Metz actually meant.  According to Google Translate, "metz" means "French city". Does this mean that we'll end up with a French Quarter?

Metz was the middle name of John (J.M.) Schneider, who founded Schneiders in 1886.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - panamaniac - 03-11-2021

Then I wondered what Metz actually meant.  According to Google Translate, "metz" means "French city". Does this mean that we'll end up with a French Quarter?

Nah, it will just end up being a Metz ....

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - clasher - 05-31-2021

Modern Crane had a mobile unit at the end of Vernon Ave tonight, it looked like they were unloading tower crane sections but I didn't get a good look as I was driving.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - mastermind - 06-01-2021

That's probably the crane from Arrow. Maybe that means this is the next Auburn project on the radar.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - Acitta - 06-02-2021

(05-31-2021, 11:25 PM)clasher Wrote: Modern Crane had a mobile unit at the end of Vernon Ave tonight, it looked like they were unloading tower crane sections but I didn't get a good look as I was driving.
They have been storing crane parts there for a long time.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - Bytor - 06-02-2021

Metz does not "mean" "French city". It is the name of a French City.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - nms - 06-02-2021

Thanks! I should have looked a little deeper.

From Wikipedia: 

Quote:In ancient times, the town was known as "city of Mediomatrici", being inhabited by the tribe of the same name. After its integration into the Roman Empire, the city was called Divodurum Mediomatricum, meaning Holy Village or Holy Fortress of the Mediomatrici, then it was known as Mediomatrix. During the 5th century AD, the name evolved to "Mettis", which gave rise to Metz.

Metz is in the Lorraine region which has been traded between French- and German-speaking people for hundreds of years. Its not surprising that John Metz Schneider's mother, Anna Metz, spoke German.

RE: The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment) - Acitta - 06-29-2021

They are finally dealing with the piles of concrete on the site.