Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - sluismcfc - 07-21-2022

(07-21-2022, 11:56 AM)Bytor Wrote: How is floor space ratio calculated?

Its it to the size of the entire lot?

Or just to the 55% of lot size from the maximum lot coverage rules in the zoning bylaws?

Like, with a 16,000 sq ft lot, are you using 16,000 as the denominator, or 8,800?

it's a ratio of lot area so 16000 in your example

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - CitizenX - 07-22-2022

(07-21-2022, 10:14 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(07-21-2022, 10:11 AM)Lebronj23 Wrote: From the top floor of Sun Life Tower

Lots of room for more giant condo towers there.

Does it make sense for the hospital to buy the Sun Life parking lot and CTV Land across the street for expansion?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - neonjoe - 07-22-2022

(06-12-2015, 10:17 AM)Owen Wrote:
(06-12-2015, 09:47 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: I'm afraid that even then it won't be enough, judging from other urban examples. We are going from 0 buildings to 1 (Kaufman) to 3 (Kaufman+One Victoria+City Centre) so while the increase sounds like a lot, density is still extremely low in that area as far as downtown urban districts are concerned. We will need the other City Centre tower as well as the two towers in One Hundred Victoria before we start seeing critical mass. The transit hub will help a lot as the fact that a trip to downtown will be a breeze away when the LRT is in place. Then we'll see a clear pickup.

This brings up my biggest issue with the LRT - "a trip downtown is a breeze away when the LRT is in place"  ... for who??  Maybe a few folks who happen to live around the line, but not for most residents of the city (and by most I mean everyone in Wards 1, 2, 6, 7, and 8).  I understand the planning rationale for creating a corridor that induces development (and a long-term shift in population from the suburbs to condos along that corridor), but I really wish the LRT as more useful for more existing residents - meaning it had lines that extended out into the existing suburbs to the east and west and made it easy for people to come downtown as a destination.  I get it - that was way out of the budget - but presently I have a hard time seeing how the LRT would help me get anywhere I want to go (have you ever found yourself on King street saying "gee, I really wish I could hope on a train and get to uptown waterloo?")  ... most of the city's residents (again, everyone in Ward 1, 2, 6, 7, and 8) live outside walking distance from the LRT, which means they will have to keep driving everywhere they want to go.   

Since the province is now providing 100% funding for this sort of thing we should be lobbying for a Phase II LRT that adds loops from the outer areas into the core to augment the main line!

(07-22-2022, 09:13 AM)CitizenX Wrote:
(07-21-2022, 10:14 AM)Acitta Wrote: Lots of room for more giant condo towers there.

Does it make sense for the hospital to buy the Sun Life parking lot and CTV Land across the street for expansion?

I would much rather this than have the new hospital out in the boonies.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - westwardloo - 07-22-2022

(07-22-2022, 09:15 AM)neonjoe Wrote:
(07-22-2022, 09:13 AM)CitizenX Wrote: Does it make sense for the hospital to buy the Sun Life parking lot and CTV Land across the street for expansion?

I would much rather this than have the new hospital out in the boonies.

Agreed, It seems like the most logical spot to put the new hospital. There would need to be a parking garage built at the corner of the property first to provide parking for the manulife employees and the current Hospital staff. I just have a bad feeling the new hospital will inevitable be in the middle of some field across from the farmers market surrounded by surface parking.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Zoo - 07-22-2022

This is complete hearsay and industry rumours... so take it with a grain of salt.  

I just finished having a coffee with a good friend of mine who mentioned a few interesting parts about the market. We all know that the market has slowed completely everywhere. On a few of the launches downtown, she says that it has been very difficult for most projects to do anything outside of one condo project (didn't say which one and I forgot to ask). The interesting points that she made were that a project that JD Developments has launched hasn't sold anything to outside purchasers (only internal deals supposedly) and it has supposedly flopped pretty bad compared to others (yikes).  Next, she mentioned that there seem to be some 30 Francis buyers cancelling their deposit cheques that are coming due shortly as they are well under water.  

Interesting times.  Even if this is hearsay, that is the market sentiment. I am curious if any condos get cancelled in KW.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 07-22-2022

(07-22-2022, 02:17 PM)Zoo Wrote: This is complete hearsay and industry rumours... so take it with a grain of salt.  

I just finished having a coffee with a good friend of mine who mentioned a few interesting parts about the market. We all know that the market has slowed completely everywhere. On a few of the launches downtown, she says that it has been very difficult for most projects to do anything outside of one condo project (didn't say which one and I forgot to ask). The interesting points that she made were that a project that JD Developments has launched hasn't sold anything to outside purchasers (only internal deals supposedly) and it has supposedly flopped pretty bad compared to others (yikes).  Next, she mentioned that there seem to be some 30 Francis buyers cancelling their deposit cheques that are coming due shortly as they are well under water.  

Interesting times.  Even if this is hearsay, that is the market sentiment. I am curious if any condos get cancelled in KW.

There seems to be a number of big projects that were announced years ago that haven't shown any evidence of starting. The Metz and Virerra Village come to mind.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 07-22-2022

(07-22-2022, 09:13 AM)CitizenX Wrote:
(07-21-2022, 10:14 AM)Acitta Wrote: Lots of room for more giant condo towers there.

I don't know if that would work because Sun Life uses half the lot, while the hospital uses the other half for staff parking. Plus, from what I remember hearing they are aiming for a 50 to 60 acre site for the new hospital which is huge, so they wouldn't really fit a whole lot there since that block is even smaller than the one the current hospital sits on. Of course they could build up - something like 12-15 floors - which would grand them a lot of space but there are disadvantages to building a hospital that way. They could also use - as you said - the CTV lot across the street but that's pretty small.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 07-22-2022

(07-22-2022, 04:56 PM)Acitta Wrote: There seems to be a number of big projects that were announced years ago that haven't shown any evidence of starting. The Metz and Virerra Village come to mind.

The Metz is an Auburn project so I am sure it will take them a while to get started - then likely 10-15 years to finish it because they not only work very slowly, but it's also a large project.

As for Vierra Village, I don't think it has yet been approved, has it? Which is odd because I remember them closing the LRT line between Fairway and Mill Station in 2020 or 2021 so they could pour concrete and asphalt for a level crossing to access the site (parallel to Hillmount Street). Perhaps it was approved, or they're just very confident that it will be so they installed a level crossing in advance. I imagine it'll be tricky to work on that project because the overhead wires for the train are there and construction sites often see fairly large trucks such as larger cement trucks (the ones with the giant arms), mobile cranes or flatbeds that transport the tower cranes.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 07-22-2022

(07-22-2022, 09:01 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(07-22-2022, 09:13 AM)CitizenX Wrote: Does it make sense for the hospital to buy the Sun Life parking lot and CTV Land across the street for expansion?

I don't know if that would work because Sun Life uses half the lot, while the hospital uses the other half for staff parking. Plus, from what I remember hearing they are aiming for a 50 to 60 acre site for the new hospital which is huge, so they wouldn't really fit a whole lot there since that block is even smaller than the one the current hospital sits on. Of course they could build up - something like 12-15 floors - which would grand them a lot of space but there are disadvantages to building a hospital that way. They could also use - as you said - the CTV lot across the street but that's pretty small.

Yes, but the new hospital doesn’t need 50 to 60 acres. They just have this daft idea of consolidating everything from here to Toronto into one mega-hospital, an obviously stupid idea. It should be perfectly feasible to build structured parking on part of the Sun Life lot and a new hospital building on the rest of it. I would go so far as to say that the most likely reason to put 50-60 acres in the requirements is to ensure that the new site is way out in the boonies — somebody has pre-judged that that is where the hospital should be. I won’t go so far as to allege that somebody owns a 50 to 60 acre site in north Waterloo; a more likely scenario is that they’re thinking of the future as to expansion but not thinking of the future where not as many people own a car.

Anyway, the King/Union/Park/Mt. Hope block is approximately 170m square, or 28900m². This is approximately 7 acres. So, a 9 story building covering the entire site would have approximately 63 acres of floor space. In other words, they can build a huge amount of floor space on the site. Now I know it’s not conventional to build a 9 story building covering an entire block, but the point is that they don’t need to go halfway to Elmira to find a site.

Some combination of thinking more about which services go where, which are at multiple hospitals, and which are centralized, would absolutely allow them to keep the hospital more or less where it is. Build a smaller hospital somewhere towards the north part of the City of Waterloo to provide more locations. The north campus at UW has been mentioned.

One final note: 60 acres is approximately 240,000m². This is over half the floor area of the Boeing plant in Everett (400,000m²). We do not need a hospital with floor area half the size of the Boeing plant. We also have amazing technology that allows us to build buildings whose floor area is larger than the building footprint. So I feel even more confident asserting that the hospital does not need a 60 acre site.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 07-23-2022

They could do what Trillium is doing in Mississauga

https://www.insauga.com/huge-new-mississauga-hospital-will-be-three-times-size-of-current-healthcare-centre/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 07-23-2022

Looks like the old Club Abstract location is being demoed. There's wood fencing and scaffolding around it and the house to the left of it. I'm guessing HIP had plans for this location soon, though I haven't seen anything on the City of Kitchener website. There's some equipment in the rear and it appears the rear section of the building is gone (though I am not sure since i was going past on the train).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 07-23-2022

(07-22-2022, 09:11 PM)ac3r Wrote: As for Vierra Village... I imagine it'll be tricky to work on that project because the overhead wires for the train are there and construction sites often see fairly large trucks such as larger cement trucks (the ones with the giant arms), mobile cranes or flatbeds that transport the tower cranes.

All that equipment has to be able to travel down city streets and under bridges, so should be able to pull into the site under the lines before deploying. Also, if they need to bring something off the street, there's a short bit of Block Line at the south end that could work once the land is graded.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 07-23-2022

(07-22-2022, 09:11 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(07-22-2022, 04:56 PM)Acitta Wrote: There seems to be a number of big projects that were announced years ago that haven't shown any evidence of starting. The Metz and Virerra Village come to mind.

The Metz is an Auburn project so I am sure it will take them a while to get started - then likely 10-15 years to finish it because they not only work very slowly, but it's also a large project.

At the public meeting in 2019 they said 7 to 10 years. That was probably optimistic, especially considering the troubles they had with demolition. Demolition didn't get finished till last summer.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 07-23-2022

I feel like it t took them about that long to finish The Bow and Arrow (terrible name) so I can't see The Metz being done in 7-10 years since it's so large.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 07-24-2022

Does anyone know what this project is? I was visiting the hospital and spotted this from the 9th floor.

Edit: Not the one across from the LRT station, I mean the one further away.

[Image: YOnCE4i.jpg]