Waterloo Region Connected
King Street underpass at the transit hub - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: King Street underpass at the transit hub (/showthread.php?tid=338)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - clasher - 04-13-2015

I can't imagine them building all the steel/aluminum grid stuff only to leave it open, that would be so assine and almost pointless/useless as an actual shelter.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Canard - 04-13-2015

[Image: biosphere.jpg]

Smile

(Yes, I know it used to have panels, that all burned off)

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - clasher - 04-13-2015

LOL, let's stick to glass, it's harder to burn.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Canard - 06-07-2015

Last day to cross the tracks at King! Closes tomorrow for the reconstruction.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - kps - 08-07-2015

CN brought in some track testing gear this morning, I presume related to the Go  / Park St work.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Smore - 08-22-2015

I'm told King and Park have been fully blocked now (no weekend pass throughs)

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - tomh009 - 08-22-2015

Crazy long detours now if you want to walk to Vincenzo's from downtown Kitchener. Oh well, short-term pain for long-term gain.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Canard - 08-23-2015

Maybe GRT could consider running a "Detour Bus" that would run for free and help out pedestrians?

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - tomh009 - 09-26-2015

Looking from Park street, some of the tracks are fenced off.  I had not noticed this before -- is this for overnight parking for GO?

[Image: 3onNRhY.jpg]

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Canard - 09-26-2015

Yes, that's the GO layover facility where the trains sleep. It's been there from the start of GO service.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - GtwoK - 09-26-2015

Will the Go Train be out of commission at all while this is being worked on? I can't image they'd be able to keep functioning track work throughout the entire process, can they?

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - ijmorlan - 09-26-2015

(09-26-2015, 07:53 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Will the Go Train be out of commission at all while this is being worked on? I can't image they'd be able to keep functioning track work throughout the entire process, can they?

I don’t believe GO service stopped for the Weber St. overpass work. There are also freight trains and interrupting that service is very expensive. I would expect only very brief interruptions.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - BrianT - 09-26-2015

(09-26-2015, 08:15 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-26-2015, 07:53 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Will the Go Train be out of commission at all while this is being worked on? I can't image they'd be able to keep functioning track work throughout the entire process, can they?

I don’t believe GO service stopped for the Weber St. overpass work. There are also freight trains and interrupting that service is very expensive. I would expect only very brief interruptions.

They were working out there on the tracks this afternoon.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - KevinL - 09-27-2015

(09-26-2015, 08:15 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:

They'll be able to stage the work so the line remains open at all times; basically they'll dig half the space and erect half the bridge span, then move the rails onto it, then dig the other half and complete the span. Though likely a bit more complex than that.

They have the advantage of only having to keep the rail line open, while King is completely shut.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - MidTowner - 10-26-2015

Can someone clarify for me how long exactly King will be closed for this? I had thought all the way until the Ion's launch two years from now, but this article in the Record says "King, Wellington to Victoria, Kitchener — road closed for railway underpass construction, through 2016."

That didn't seem right to me, but maybe.