Waterloo Region Connected
King Street underpass at the transit hub - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: King Street underpass at the transit hub (/showthread.php?tid=338)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - tomh009 - 09-04-2016

(09-04-2016, 11:02 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Worth noting, and I doubt many people know this, if a railway crossing has no arms, it is effectively a stop sign.  If there is no train imminently coming, it is legal to proceed after stopping.  Of course, given that people seem to be a poor judge of how fast a train might be moving, perhaps it is just as well that people believe they must wait.

Good point!  I, too, had forgotten about this.

Quote:Vehicles required to stop at railway crossing signal
163. (1) When the driver of a vehicle is approaching a railway crossing at a time when a clearly visible electrical or mechanical signal device or a flagman is giving warning of the approach of a railway train, he or she shall stop the vehicle not less than 5 metres from the nearest rail of the railway and shall not proceed until he or she can do so safely.  R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 163.

Stop signs at railway crossings

(2) Every driver of a vehicle approaching a stop sign at a railway crossing shall, unless otherwise directed by a flagman, stop the vehicle at the marked stop line or, if none, then not less than five metres from the nearest rail of the railway, and shall not proceed until he or she can do so safely.  2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 30.

Driving of vehicles under crossing gates prohibited
164. No person shall drive a vehicle through, around or under a crossing gate or barrier at a railway crossing while the gate or barrier is closed or is being opened or closed.  R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 164.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Canard - 09-04-2016

Absolutely disagree and would never, ever under any circumstance whatsoever drive through a railway signal with the lights flashing. Even if it's faulty or a malfunction, I'd turn around and find another way. Way too much Operation Lifesaver in this blood.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - clasher - 09-04-2016

Even though I know the trains slowly roll through there the sightlines aren't that great and I've watched way too many youtube videos of trains destroying people that don't respect the flashing lights. The Victoria crossing is pretty easy to by-pass by using Cherry st.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - KevinL - 09-04-2016

In other words, don't be like the cop in this scene:

(09-04-2016, 04:44 PM)Canard Wrote: Absolutely disagree and would never, ever under any circumstance whatsoever drive through a railway signal with the lights flashing. Even if it's faulty or a malfunction, I'd turn around and find another way. Way too much Operation Lifesaver in this blood.

A single track, train moving away from the crossing at walking speed.  How is that more dangerous than, say, crossing Highway 7 (after stopping at a stop sign), with large trucks whizzing by at 90 km/h?

I do think the HTA is rational in this case.

Sorry, I have to totally disagree.

OK, we can agree to disagree. But a train will not suddenly accelerate or change direction, any more than a tractor-trailer will (physics dictates that). So with the right circumstances (such as my example, from Saturday), I do believe it is safe to proceed.

I see what you're getting at, but rules are rules. I also don't drive through stop lights just because it "looks safe". And encouraging others that it's "ok" to drive through train crossing signals is a bad move, in my opinion, regardless of what the "fine print" can be interpreted as.

Yes, indeed, rules are rules. The HTA section I quoted above says the driver "shall stop the vehicle not less than 5 metres from the nearest rail of the railway and shall not proceed until he or she can do so safely."

Danbrotherston's original point was that it's legal to proceed after stopping, if it's safe to do so. With a railway crossing, I would use extra caution, but there are still cases where I believe it is safe to proceed. And if it's safe, it's also legal (provided a stop has been made first).

Sobeit; I was raised not to ever, ever do that, but suit your fancy... I have too much respect for railways to ever do something like that (especially in front of others, who might take up that bad habit).

At any rate - way, way off topic for this thread...

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - MidTowner - 09-06-2016

(09-03-2016, 07:43 PM)BrianT Wrote: ...Now they can remove the bypass track, dig it out and reopen King Street when they are done...

You make it sound so easy! They did indeed just hit a milestone for this project, but any sense of how long it will take to actually get the above done? Is it truly just removing the track and paving and, if so, maybe it'll get done before the end of the year as planned?

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - BrianT - 09-06-2016

(09-06-2016, 07:27 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(09-03-2016, 07:43 PM)BrianT Wrote: ...Now they can remove the bypass track, dig it out and reopen King Street when they are done...

You make it sound so easy! They did indeed just hit a milestone for this project, but any sense of how long it will take to actually get the above done? Is it truly just removing the track and paving and, if so, maybe it'll get done before the end of the year as planned?

From what I have heard, the target is the end of the year.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - MidTowner - 09-06-2016

The end of the year was the target when King was first closed. It's still the target, then? Great stuff, if so.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Canard - 09-06-2016

All the latest reports indicate they are still on-time.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - kps - 09-06-2016

The bypass track is being removed.

They've added a section for testing the narrow-gauge rolling stock.