Waterloo Region Connected
Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suburbs (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District (/showthread.php?tid=1187)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Momo26 - 03-16-2021

Winners will be where ?

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - ac3r - 03-16-2021

Looks like it'll be occupying the old Sears. The sign is nearest the smoke stack, so it's possible they're only occupying half the building.

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - KevinL - 03-16-2021

Yeah, part of the old Sears is all they'll need. It's a big unit.

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Spokes - 03-18-2021

Isn't there a Winners further down Fairway?

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - GarthDanlor - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 01:36 PM)Spokes Wrote: Isn't there a Winners further down Fairway?
A Marshalls but, yes, same company.  Similar situation on  Ira Needles and on Hespeler Rd (bit further apart though).  You even see them in the same plaza/power centre some times.  Not sure why they do it?

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Spokes - 03-19-2021

It gives the illusion of people getting to shop around but at the end of the day the money goes into the same company.

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - nms - 03-20-2021

They can also corner two suitably different markets though the Ven diagram is probably pretty close for overlap.

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - TMKM94 - 03-21-2021

(03-18-2021, 01:36 PM)Spokes Wrote: Isn't there a Winners further down Fairway?
There used to be. The Winners was converted into Marshalls.

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Spokes - 03-23-2021

(03-20-2021, 01:08 AM)nms Wrote: They can also corner two suitably different markets though the Ven diagram is probably pretty close for overlap.

Are they different markets?  I always assumed they'd be the same

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Chris - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 11:19 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 01:08 AM)nms Wrote: They can also corner two suitably different markets though the Ven diagram is probably pretty close for overlap.

Are they different markets?  I always assumed they'd be the same

As someone who has spent many hours kicking rocks in Marshalls and Winners, I challenge you to spot the difference if you entered them blindfolded.

Home Sense is different. Marshall/Winners? I'd argue not so much.

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - GarthDanlor - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 12:59 PM)Chris Wrote:
(03-23-2021, 11:19 AM)Spokes Wrote: Are they different markets?  I always assumed they'd be the same

As someone who has spent many hours kicking rocks in Marshalls and Winners, I challenge you to spot the difference if you entered them blindfolded.

I think at one time there were some minor differences. For example, Marshall's shoe department was a bigger focus than the the Winner's counterpart.  Not much difference now, I don't think.

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Spokes - 03-28-2021

(03-23-2021, 11:19 AM)Spokes Wrote: Are they different markets?  I always assumed they'd be the same

I always thought they were the same too.  Couldn't tell a difference

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - jeffster - 03-29-2021

Marshalls is in the USA, while Winners isn't. And yes, I realize they both have the same owner. I am thinking that Marshalls might be more geared to those that cross border shop, or would like to. Sometimes it works for companies (like Wal*Mart) sometimes it doesn't (like Target).

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Coke6pk - 03-30-2021

So I was thinking about the smokestack here... and thinking about the costs involved in building it. There was the framework, and the large amount of scaffolding and wrap... let alone the labour costs for the bricklayers working inside.

What does a company like CF gain from such an expenditure? There is no profit making opportunities in having it... I just don't understand why.

Coke

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - jamincan - 03-30-2021

Malls are increasingly becoming less relevant compared to places like the Boardwalk; I suspect that this is a move to raise the profile of Fairview and help to define a more distinctive and marketable identity for the place to prospective tenants.