Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - GtwoK - 10-23-2021

The Record reporting the link from the Iron Horse to the Transit Hub will be started in November.

From having a detailed look at the site plan / renderings of the transit hub, I realized that the trail link actually includes a new bridge over King St — it doesnt use the platform that is part of the rail grade separation bridge that was done. Presumably thats going to be part of this trail link up (since it would otherwise be a dead end), but does the $3m cost seem to include that?

Also, even with the bridge, it ends at GO Train level — the transit hub was to include outdoor stairs to take you to and from the platform. But it seems odd to build those stairs now since they were very much a part of the transit hub. Anyone know what the plan is here?

Renderings of the area (including my own model made from the site plans)

[Image: YtEXwjR.jpg]
h[Image: HOaFYCv.jpg]ttps://imgur.com/undefined[Image: UgzNpz5.jpg]

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 10-23-2021

Frankly it seems silly/an oversight to build a new bridge instead of using the platform, or building a platform with enough space for it.

Whatever, this whole project continues to be poorly planned, IMO.

RE: Trails - Lens - 10-23-2021

What an iconic looking structure! /s

RE: Trails - GtwoK - 10-23-2021

(10-23-2021, 06:30 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Frankly it seems silly/an oversight to build a new bridge instead of using the platform, or building a platform with enough space for it.

I could see this being a liability thing — this is supposed to be a public trail, after all, and having people riding their bikes along a private train platform (where people may be standing around waiting / boarding and unboarding) as part of the trail seems unsafe, even if it means doubling up on bridges

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 10-23-2021

(10-23-2021, 07:08 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(10-23-2021, 06:30 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Frankly it seems silly/an oversight to build a new bridge instead of using the platform, or building a platform with enough space for it.

I could see this being a liability thing — this is supposed to be a public trail, after all, and having people riding their bikes along a private train platform (where people may be standing around waiting / boarding and unboarding) as part of the trail seems unsafe, even if it means doubling up on bridges

The original bridge could have been built to accommodate the trail.

OR a bike parking facility could be built on the other side.

This whole thing seems really scrambled and wastefully built.

But it certainly isn't the first time the LRT has overlooked pedestrian and cycling infra.

RE: Trails - tomh009 - 11-04-2021

Is Ottawa St getting a MUT from the IHT to Charles or maybe King? The sidewalk has been dug up to wider than it was.

I was baffled that they didn't do a MUT when they did the original LRT construction since the sidewalk did get rebuilt and there was a massive amount of space on the (Kitchener) west side of the street.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 11-04-2021

(11-04-2021, 09:43 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Is Ottawa St getting a MUT from the IHT to Charles or maybe King? The sidewalk has been dug up to wider than it was.

I was baffled that they didn't do a MUT when they did the original LRT construction since the sidewalk did get rebuilt and there was a massive amount of space on the (Kitchener) west side of the street.

Very little thought was given to pedestrians or cyclists when building the LRT...I don't really know who they thought was going to ride on the trains, but yeah, they're fixing that mistake now, they might even pave the boulevard and cut the curb so you can, you know, get to the trail.

RE: Trails - nms - 11-04-2021

Likely all in the spirit of, "Let's build it first as inexpensively as possible while have the political will, then we'll fix it later."

It reminds me of the adage, "There's never time/money to do it right the first time, but always time/money to do it twice."

RE: Trails - panamaniac - 11-05-2021

The staging of this was set several years ago. There's no surprise in it.

RE: Trails - Acitta - 11-05-2021

As of this afternoon, the new trail from Northfield to Farmers Market Road is now paved. I was able to ride on the section from Northfield to Randall. They were still steamrolling the next section and were largely finished by 5 when I came out of VV, though I didn't ride on it because there were still some workers still hanging around. The section I rode had bases for light standards all the way along.

RE: Trails - Acitta - 11-22-2021

Apparently, somebody doesn't like stopping for pedestrians. (IHT at Gage)

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 11-22-2021

I got to say I get a little enjoyment that the sign gave as good as it got...those do appear to be car parts strewn about.

But I'll say this again, as I've said it many times. This kind of thing terrifies me, here's a driver driving so close to the edge of the road as to run over a sign, that's highly reflective.

And then it infuriates me because I have to listen to people tell me to go dress up like a traffic cone, rather than fix our dangerous roads.

This kind of incident should be an automatic suspension of a driver's license, while some gets re-tested and evaluated. This is what would happen if a pilot made an error like this (to say nothing of them being forced to pay for the costs of the damage instead of it coming out of MY tax dollars--well at least the sign).

And once again, the main reason signs are hit more often than pedestrians, is that pedestrians are able to jump out of the way.

RE: Trails - ac3r - 11-22-2021

I wonder if it was a truck that miscalculated its width while going down Gage (as it's wider up until the trail crossing, then narrows drastically as it nears Belmont) as those appear to be wheel covers you'd see on a large truck wheel. Either way, at least it was only a sign this time.

RE: Trails - KevinT - 11-22-2021

I was up near the office last week, and am happy to report that an MUT has gone in along Phillip, and another is going in along Parkside south of Northfield. Hopefully there will be a continuous connection from the Laurel Trail all the way to the St Jacob's market when that second one is done.

RE: Trails - KevinL - 11-23-2021

(11-22-2021, 10:29 PM)KevinT Wrote:  Hopefully there will be a continuous connection from the Laurel Trail all the way to the St Jacob's market when that second one is done.

That's the whole idea behind this, so they had best see it through.