Waterloo Region Connected
Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suburbs (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District (/showthread.php?tid=1187)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - jeffster - 02-13-2020

(02-13-2020, 12:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 08:15 PM)embe Wrote: So the inside of the tower will be hollow or does the whole thing serve a purpose (other than aesthetics)?  Somebody will surely climb up to find out.

Tim Hortons will use it for brewing coffee during the busy times.

I had heard that is was storage for all the rumours that go around the KWC area. In particular, The PATH in DTK (Downtown), along with the access from Drewlo to DTK (Duke Tower) to City Hall. Apparently the 12th floor at city hall is full now. (yes, there is a 12th floor there -- 14 if you include parking).

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - hypnagogic_logic - 02-13-2020

(02-13-2020, 04:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 05:39 PM)hypnagogic_logic Wrote: I got a quick look at it yesterday with the topper installed and I quite like it as well. It looks like they put some effort into giving the steel an aged patina and the catwalk wrapping around the roof gives it some added structure too. Certainly not to everyone's taste, but I'm happy it doesn't come off as cheap.

I was starting to doubt too recently whether we would actually see anything like the renders constructed. It's promising that this is inching forward.

Is it steel or fibreglass?

Good question! Not sure offhand as I didn't get up close enough to tap on it. At least from the road it appeared to be maybe carbon steel but it could very well be a synthetic material. Hopefully nothing that will leech into all that Tim's brew. 

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Rainrider22 - 02-13-2020

Cambridge is looking for a safe injection site that wont impact any of their downtown's....

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Spokes - 02-14-2020

(02-12-2020, 08:15 PM)embe Wrote: So the inside of the tower will be hollow or does the whole thing serve a purpose (other than aesthetics)?  Somebody will surely climb up to find out.

An on site Microbrewery could use it to brew beer?

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Rainrider22 - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 10:34 AM)Spokes Wrote:

An on site Microbrewery could use it to brew beer?
Now your cooking with gas !!

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Spokes - 02-17-2020

The only way I know how!

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - westwardloo - 02-18-2020

I am going to post this report here. It highlights the top earning malls per sq.ft. It also talks about most of the malls in Canada that are going through a complete redevelopment. Disappointed that there are not concrete plans for Conestoga mall yet considering the access to rapid transit. I also don't think the " grand Market District" was that well thought out compared to others on the list, but at least it is something.

https://www.retailcouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/EN-2019-Shopping-Centre-Study_2020-01-15_WEB_v5_f_.pdf

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - jeffster - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 10:39 AM)westwardloo Wrote: I am going to post this report here. It highlights the top earning malls per sq.ft. It also talks about most of the malls in Canada that are going through a complete redevelopment. Disappointed that there are not concrete plans for Conestoga mall yet considering the access to rapid transit. I also don't think the " grand Market District" was that well thought out compared to others on the list, but at least it is something.

https://www.retailcouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/EN-2019-Shopping-Centre-Study_2020-01-15_WEB_v5_f_.pdf

Interesting link they had regarding how the "Apple" store seems to help by $100/sqf in those locations.

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Acitta - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 10:39 AM)westwardloo Wrote: I am going to post this report here. It highlights the top earning malls per sq.ft. It also talks about most of the malls in Canada that are going through a complete redevelopment. Disappointed that there are not concrete plans for Conestoga mall yet considering the access to rapid transit. I also don't think the " grand Market District" was that well thought out compared to others on the list, but at least it is something.

It is interesting that the report analyses the most successful malls, but doesn't discuss the failing malls and what they are doing wrong.

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - westwardloo - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 12:49 PM)Acitta Wrote:

It is interesting that the report analyses the most successful malls, but doesn't discuss the failing malls and what they are doing wrong.
It doesn't touch on why certain malls are failing. I am sure there are lots of studies on that.  It does however show how some dying malls are being proactive. Making use of their large swath of land in desirable cities, by converting parking lots into mixed use towers, even tearing down existing structures and starting from scratch with a better more modern vision for the land (cloverdale, Dufferin, and Galleria malls to name a few)  or even the Golden mile which reminds me a lot of  fairway road. Its not that all these malls dying (sherway, Yorkdale) its that there is an opportunity to ensure these malls keep up with the times (and cash in on the ongoing building boom) to ensure they continue to be a commercial destination in the future.

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Coke6pk - 02-21-2020

Judging by the "CF Grand Market District" signage that was prominent in the renderings, I am assuming that branding isn't going to stick....

Coke

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Spokes - 02-24-2020

Although it would cost them a bit more, I wouldn't be surprised if they did a big "rebranding" reveal when the project is done. Extra hype and fanfare.

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - hypnagogic_logic - 02-24-2020

(02-24-2020, 09:53 AM)Spokes Wrote: Although it would cost them a bit more, I wouldn't be surprised if they did a big "rebranding" reveal when the project is done.  Extra hype and fanfare.

It could just as likely go either way for me, but I hope your hunch is right.

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - Chris - 02-24-2020

I thought they would rebrand for sure. If they wanted to separate their Fairview Mall location from their Fairview Park location now is the perfect time.

RE: Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District - panamaniac - 02-24-2020

(02-24-2020, 01:39 PM)Chris Wrote: I thought they would rebrand for sure. If they wanted to separate their Fairview Mall location from their Fairview Park location now is the perfect time.
Fairview Mall and Fairview Park are different locations?  What happened to Fairview Park Mall?